CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linux Ubuntu insted of winxp

David LeVine wrote:
> jarwan_walid wrote:
>
>>Dear all
>>
>>Can we install mach3 onto Linux Ubuntu onto insted of winxp , as there
>>is no virusis on this OS .
>>

> First of all, there are viri, hijacks, trojans, etc. for Linux.

Not to start yet another flame war, but I've had a Linux system
directly on the net for 6 years, with a number of servers (web,
mail, ftp, telnet, etc.) running on it. In the early days I had
2 successful hackings, with around 1000 failed login attempts a
day, 365 days a year. I fixed a couple security holes that I
probably caused by not setting it up right. I finally got
serious about security and installed denyhosts, which disables
any connection attempt from a specific IP after a set number of
login failures. I now have pretty good confidence no hacker
will be able to try enough passwords to get in. I've been
online for about 41000 hours now without a successful breakin.
My desktop machine is behind the firewall of the server machine,
and has never been penetrated, and I use it for all email, web
browsing, etc.
> Mach3 is specific to Windows.
>
> You would be better to install VMWARE and set up a Windows VM session
> and install Mach into that.

I have done this to experiment with Mach, but I would not expect
it to actually run a machine properly. The Mach driver uses a
number of tricks to achieve near real-time performance of the
step pulses. I doubt any virtual Windows environment maintains
real-time CPU performance to virtual CPUs.
> But why Mach on Linux when EMC2 is free and has a live Linux CD you can
> play with?

Yes, certainly a good question.

jarwan_walid 2008-01-12 02:19:09 UTC Linux Ubuntu insted of winxp Stephen Wille Padnos 2008-01-12 07:51:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linux Ubuntu insted of winxp David LeVine 2008-01-12 10:00:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linux Ubuntu insted of winxp Jon Elson 2008-01-12 16:31:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linux Ubuntu insted of winxp Michael Fagan 2008-01-12 21:19:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linux Ubuntu insted of winxp David LeVine 2008-01-13 15:47:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linux Ubuntu insted of winxp