CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linux Ubuntu insted of winxp

Posted by David LeVine
on 2008-01-13 15:47:23 UTC
Jon Elson wrote:
> Not to start yet another flame war, but I've had a Linux system
> directly on the net for 6 years, with a number of servers (web,
> mail, ftp, telnet, etc.) running on it. In the early days I had
> 2 successful hackings, with around 1000 failed login attempts a
> day, 365 days a year. I fixed a couple security holes that I
> probably caused by not setting it up right. I finally got
> serious about security and installed denyhosts, which disables
> any connection attempt from a specific IP after a set number of
> login failures. I now have pretty good confidence no hacker
> will be able to try enough passwords to get in. I've been
> online for about 41000 hours now without a successful breakin.
> My desktop machine is behind the firewall of the server machine,
> and has never been penetrated, and I use it for all email, web
> browsing, etc.

I have not had a virus, trojan or hijack on my Windows 2000 machine
either in about 5 years of operation. That doesn't mean there are none
out there for Windows, only that IT professionals doing a good job tend
to be pretty safe.

I *LIKE* Ubuntu, it works well, I have Fedora and Suse on two 4 core 3.6
GHz Xeon machines (under test for a customer) and prefer Fedora to
Suse. Go figure <GRIN>.

--
David G. LeVine
Nashua, NH 03060