CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Mini-Mill ball screws/nuts AND CNC Router project

Posted by Jack McKie
on 2008-06-02 16:54:28 UTC
Hi Dan,

Nice Router! Is that a plywood base that you attached the aluminum extrusions to? I like the wire protectors! I am looking at an alternative using piano wire supports with tubular chafe guard taped to it.

The 203s specs look great but are way above my budget. I like the Gecko stuff but wanted something cheaper and heard that the 251s are coming out soon. Hadn't heard a price or availability date yet. I am hoping to get a controller and steppers at a price competitive with the Xylotex units. Sounds like I am looking at a opto-isolated breakout and the 251s and some steppers. Would the 251s work with 13.8VDC?

Jack

Dan Mauch <dmauch@...> wrote:
Here is a link to my cnc router which is about the size you mention. I would use a rack and pinion drive.
Here is a link to google video that shows my cnc router/plasma cutter running on G203 step motor drivers and 452 oz in motors

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5437907076855559029&q=cnc+router+plasma&total=27&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=2
If the link doesn't work simply enter the below into google video

CNC router plasma cutter

I would also use the G203 becuase they are essentially burn out proof. The New 251 which I have tested also work nearly as good but don't have the safety features that the G203 has.

The new G251's are not opto isolated but they work well with the newer low voltage pc parallel port. In most cases you will not need additional opto isolated add on boards. The Gecko G251's are so well designed that they seem to be rock solid wihtout it. I have been independently testing them and am really impressed.

Not sure about the Grizzly mini mill and standard ballscrews but I would contact fusioncnc.com and see what they say.

Dan Mauch
economical 3D scanner software and kits
low cost stepper and servo motors.
cases for Gecko drives