CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Sorry

Posted by caudlet
on 2009-03-04 10:00:22 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "hanson_whitey" <whanson@...> wrote:

> Fellowes I am sorry for any inconviece. I have caused any of you. It is my foult I should Know more about what I am talking about before bothering any of you.With my questions. Whitey

Okay.....lets all step back a little and start over.

1. Very few of us knew more than you do when we started. Only through trial and error and lots of questions did we learn.

2. This list was created for the express purpose of helping the person new to CNC as a hobby (building their own machine) out as much as possible. Bill (founder) was that person years ago and saw the need for a list.

3. The experienced builders on the list are a valuable resource (knowledge base) and perform a valuable service to the beginners. Sometimes we

4. There is no "Easy" button or "CNC for Dummies" book. It's not a subject that can be easily condensed to a small book. CNC is a mix of physics, mechanics, electronics, electrical and computer skills. How deep you go into each of those in a build is up to the builder. There are solutions all the way from wiring and soldering your own motor drivers all the way to finished turnkey tables. There are dozens of ways to do each level. Unlike a few years ago there are multiple choices all along the way.

5. When general questions like "tell me everything I need to know" get posted it's just too wide a subject to address. There is no simple 123 list of things you need to know. It's kinda like pulling up to a person on the side of the road and saying "I.m lost and tell me what I need to do to get home" The next response would have to be "Where are you trying to get to" if you don't know where that is then the answer would not be very helpful.

6. All that being said tact is not the long suite of some of our members. They should have the patience to guide you to asking more direct questions in a way that is not condescending. Newbee's are the lifeblood of this hobby and market.

7. We all burn out over the years answering the same questions over and over, and sometimes forget we all were CNC novices at some point. Since WE had to kick and struggle for knowledge (paid the dues) it's easy to get frustrated with persons that appear to not be willing to invest to do base level learning. That is not the correct attitude. It should be our job to patiently guide that person, or not say anything.

8. A full 90% of the CNC builders I deal with have never built or run a CNC machine in their life. I try to take the time to answer questions but I don't have the bandwidth to start at zero. They at least need to tell me what they want to build and know a little about the mechanical side (rail systems, linear tranmission types ,etc).

10. Since I deal with novices in CNC on a daily basis you might benefit from joining my support forum (yahoo forum CandCNCSupport) It's for support of my products but my attitude is you gain and keep customers if you take the time to answer general CNC questions.

11. It's easy in written format to transmit an impression that is either unintended, or different from what we really MEAN. On the other hand I ask that the experienced members cut the new guys large amounts of slack.

Tom CAUDLE
www.CandCNC.com

Discussion Thread

William Scalione 1999-05-25 19:31:09 UTC Sorry garfield@x... 1999-05-25 19:39:32 UTC Re: Sorry Dan Mauch 1999-05-26 05:56:26 UTC Re: Sorry Charles Gallo 1999-10-13 15:15:30 UTC Sorry a_k@a... 2001-07-24 04:24:32 UTC Sorry hanson_whitey 2009-03-03 23:35:34 UTC Sorry Andy Wander 2009-03-04 05:50:20 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sorry whitey 2009-03-04 07:14:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sorry Yahoo 2009-03-04 08:31:57 UTC Re: Sorry whitey 2009-03-04 08:51:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Sorry caudlet 2009-03-04 10:00:22 UTC Re: Sorry gcode fi (hanermo) 2009-03-04 10:17:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Sorry Alan Marconett 2009-03-04 10:31:32 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Sorry whitey 2009-03-04 13:07:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Sorry