CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Mini Mill Conversion or CNC Kit

Posted by Danny Miller
on 2010-10-25 14:39:13 UTC
It comes down to what you need it to do. The Taig- the mill I have and
like- is far stiffer, more accurate, and more powerful than something
like an M2. If you need a work box (the area it can move in) larger
than the Taig's box, then you can't use the Taig unless you start to
employ some elaborate scheme to reposition the work.

The M2 looks like they have very limited Z-travel the way they designed
that Z-head; the travel is higher than can actually be used as a work
box because the bottom of the head is fixed like 1" above the base of
the workplate. The extra travel allows the head to back off enough to
mount longer bits but won't allow the whole head to clear the work. So,
between work mounting solutions and the actual work thickness it appears
limited to ~1" thick stuff, quite flat as things go. IF that works for
you, it's an option.

Danny