CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Mini Mill Conversion or CNC Kit

johann_ohnesorg wrote:
> http://lumenlab.com/d/micro
>
>> Pricing would be in the same bullpark.
>>

> Stay away from that kind of machine. This is apiece of junk that will flex and bend under loads to whereever it wants.
I have no experience with this machine, but I have to second Johann's
opinion! Those thin rods are quite flexible.
This sort of machine can carve wax, foam or soft woods with a
Dremel-type motor, and that is about it.
I know a number of people have tried to make machines like this, and
invariably the results were not good.

I have a 150 Lb minimill (I think this is commonly called an X2) that I
converted to CNC. I have a Bridgeport
here for my main machining use, and did this to have a portable machine
to take to shows to demo my
CNC hardware. You can see the results at
http://pico-systems.com/minimill.html
You could make these conversion pieces on the X2 before the conversion.
You would also need a lathe
to modify the pulleys. One limitation of this machine is the 4" Y
travel. There are kits to extend the Y travel,
that is the one real drawback to this model. The dovetail vertical
column is a great improvement over the
round-column machines.

But, I find the 7+" Y travel of my Bridgeport conversion to be an
occasional impediment, so many jobs just
wouldn't work at all on the minimill. I have the parts, but just
haven't had the time to tear down my Bridgeport
and redo the Y axis part to get more travel. If you have the space,
going for a bit larger machine than you ever thought you'd need is a
real good plan.

ximox_tf 2010-10-25 13:56:16 UTC Mini Mill Conversion or CNC Kit Danny Miller 2010-10-25 14:39:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Mini Mill Conversion or CNC Kit ximox_tf 2010-10-25 16:40:55 UTC Re: Mini Mill Conversion or CNC Kit Danny Miller 2010-10-25 19:44:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Mini Mill Conversion or CNC Kit Gaston Gagnon 2010-10-25 20:32:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Mini Mill Conversion or CNC Kit johann_ohnesorg 2010-10-26 04:46:03 UTC Re: Mini Mill Conversion or CNC Kit Roland Jollivet 2010-10-26 05:04:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Mini Mill Conversion or CNC Kit Jon Elson 2010-10-26 09:59:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Mini Mill Conversion or CNC Kit Chuck Merja 2010-10-26 11:08:36 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Mini Mill Conversion or CNC Kit