CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sargon encoder disassembly help

on 2011-02-14 23:19:06 UTC
If you can get the end cap off, as Jon says, it should slide out. The glass
is usually glued into the channel, and not removable, so unless you've got
some fine instruments, you're a bit stuck. Sounds like 'end of life' for the
encoder?

If you can get it apart, I would wash the scale with a soft brush and soap
and water, then get it dried fairly quickly. Minimal rubbing on the scale.

Regards
Roland

On 15 February 2011 05:52, Bryan Mumford <ng1@...> wrote:

> I can't see how to get at the parts. The body is an aluminum
> extrusion, open at the bottom edge where the reader rides, with end
> caps that seem to come off. Maybe the reader would slide out one end,
> but I can't imagine how you'd see or clean an encoder strip that runs
> the length of the extrusion.
>
> -Bryan
>

> At 9:45 PM -0600 2-14-11, Jon Elson wrote:
> >microset3 wrote:
> >> My X axis encoder is missing steps. I'd like to disassemble it and
> >>see if I can clean it, but I don't see how the read head separates
> >>from the scale track. Can anyone help? Do I just need to pull
> >>harder? Seems risky.....
> >>
> >These things usually have some scheme to hold the sensor at the right
> >distance for the scale. The scale has a photo-etched nichrome grating
> >on it, and the read head has two similar gratings, but one of them is
> >shifted by 1/4 pitch, to create the 90 degree quadrature shift. They
> >need to be really close, but if they touch, the gratings get rubbed off.
> >
> >Some have tiny instrument bearings that roll on the glass, or on the
> >housing, some cheap scales have plastic sliders that wear away, and then
> >the gratings start to rub. Often you can see how it works by removing
> >the end caps.
> >But, they all go together slightly differently, due to patents, so you
> >have to just examine your unit to see how the sensor is loaded against
> >the scale. Usually they have a springy metal ribbon or wire that drives
> >the sensor back and forth, on some this also provides the loading force.
> >
> >Jon

microset3 2011-02-14 13:29:43 UTC Sargon encoder disassembly help Jon Elson 2011-02-14 19:45:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sargon encoder disassembly help Bryan Mumford 2011-02-14 19:54:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sargon encoder disassembly help Roland Jollivet 2011-02-14 23:19:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sargon encoder disassembly help Jon Elson 2011-02-15 19:41:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sargon encoder disassembly help Jon Elson 2011-02-15 19:43:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sargon encoder disassembly help Bryan Mumford 2011-02-16 09:25:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sargon encoder disassembly help Bryan Mumford 2011-02-16 12:28:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sargon encoder disassembly help Jon Elson 2011-02-16 19:38:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sargon encoder disassembly help Jon Elson 2011-02-16 19:41:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sargon encoder disassembly help David G. LeVine 2011-02-22 13:51:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sargon encoder disassembly help