CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: AutoDesk Inventor drawing to G-Code

Posted by caudlet
on 2012-10-03 13:28:52 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "danieldmartin23" <danieldmartin23@...> wrote:

> After you make a drawing in AutoDesk Inventor what do I need to do to convert it to G-Code so that I can mill a piece of material using a Sherline Mill. I have been told I need to use an EMC2 post processor. Can someone please elaborate on this subject and let me know what exactly I will need. The people at AutoDesk have been unhelpful and it is almost impossible to find a phone number to their corporate office to ask this question. Any and all advice is helpful.
>
> Thanks

You are missing a piece. It is called CAM. Depending on if your design is 2D (includes 2.5D straight sided pockets) or 3D. In 2D you export in DXF and import into a CAM that has a POST (post processor) that matches the control on your Sherline. And EMC2 POST would be for a match to use EMC2 (now called LinuxCNC). I guess Sherline used that as their controller(?).

The CAM for 2D can be anything from free to expensive. One good moderately priced one is SheetCAM TNG for about $175.00 It probably has an EMC2 POST or one that would work. You can down load a demo at www.SheetCAM.com (limited to 150 lines of code without a license).

For 3D you have to get a little more complex. The export will have to be DFX 3D or STL. Have a look at MeshCAM. There are others. There is a package from Vetrics called Cut3D that will import and cut a 3D file but gives you very limited control.

AutoDesk won't be much help. They are the drawing end of the equation. You will be better off doing some research on the CM and POST rpocessor end.

Discussion Thread

danieldmartin23 2012-10-03 13:12:06 UTC AutoDesk Inventor drawing to G-Code caudlet 2012-10-03 13:28:52 UTC Re: AutoDesk Inventor drawing to G-Code cnceeds 2012-10-03 17:53:26 UTC Re: AutoDesk Inventor drawing to G-Code Jeffrey Birt 2012-10-03 17:54:01 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] AutoDesk Inventor drawing to G-Code Ronald Lambier 2012-10-03 18:56:22 UTC Re: AutoDesk Inventor drawing to G-Code Ron Thompson 2012-10-03 22:04:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: AutoDesk Inventor drawing to G-Code Ronald Lambier 2012-10-04 09:50:15 UTC Re: AutoDesk Inventor drawing to G-Code Jack 2012-10-04 10:05:16 UTC Re: AutoDesk Inventor drawing to G-Code cambcut 2012-11-13 10:57:12 UTC Re: AutoDesk Inventor drawing to G-Code