CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Getting farther off topic, but I guess air crashes involve work done to metal!

Posted by Hugh Prescott
on 2000-10-04 09:00:16 UTC
There is a fairly accurate book about this "Free Fall" or FreeFall". The
plane was 727 or 737, been a long time since I read it. There is also a
movie that is quite accurate as to the sequence of events. it's a good read.

The plane is known as the "Gremile Glider" (after the abandoned RCAF field
it landed at) and was still flying recently. Spelling may be wrong.

There was an electronic failure in the fuel computers, there are two for
redundancy, that failed (a diode IIRC) and by popping the circut breaker to
that fuel computer the other one would work correctly.

IIRC someone reset the circut breaker and did not write up the origonal
problem so that the crew or fueling crew would know why one of the fuel
computers was off line.

The rest is a cascading series of events, one of which was the use of the
wrong conversion factor in a metric / english or vice versa caculation.

There was also a DC-10 driver that forgot to turn on the heaters on some
part of the fuel system and it all of a sudden got quiet, real quiet at
alitude. They were able to start the APU or it was running (different fuel
source) and they did a maximium glide waiting for the fuel system to warm
up.

Or as my flight instructor said "Spincter tightness is inversly related to
engine sound"

Hugh