CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Auto start of X in linux

Posted by Tim Goldstein
on 1999-07-16 14:44:35 UTC
Don't have any idea on the password as it works fine on the 3 different
systems I have Linux on. I haven't learned the trick of adding items to the
menu's in X either. I just spent a little time wading through a few man
pages and it looks as if you need to add some scripting to the files your
Xwindow manager reads on startup.

I don't know if you are still using the default manage, but I am now using
AfterStep. You can try out the different managers by selecting the switch to
option you see when you go to the shut down menu item.

Tim
[Denver, CO]

----- Original Message -----
From: Ian W. Wright <Ian@...>
> Thanks Tim and Ron,
>
> I have altered my system so it does now boot into the X-server and it
> does so fine apart from one annoyance which it seems to have acquired.
> When I get to the graphic login screen and type in my login and password
> it is always rejected on the first attempt and accepted on the second
> (that is, I have to repeat the login process before the machine is happy
> and will proceed) - any ideas? I have also followed Tim's suggestion re
> the floppy disk mod and this is much easier.
> In addition I have installed Star Office 5.0 (which is free) and I'm
> very impressed, however, (there always seems to be an 'however' with
> linux doesn't there?) I don't seem to be able to find any coherent
> instructions anywhere as to how I can put an instruction for this to
> start on request on an icon or menu. Can you point me in the right
> direction or give one of your simple 'how-to lessons' please?
>
> I did take note of Ron's warning about potential difficulties in
> starting a dodgy X-server but I noticed in one of the 'man' pages that
> you can get out of trouble by booting the machine with a 'linux 1'
> command which I think I will be able to do easily as I have installed a
> multi-boot system in lilo.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ian

Discussion Thread

Ron Ginger 1999-07-14 16:12:31 UTC Auto start of X in linux Tim Goldstein 1999-07-14 16:41:31 UTC RE: Auto start of X in linux Ian W. Wright 1999-07-16 13:04:26 UTC Re: Auto start of X in linux Tim Goldstein 1999-07-16 14:44:35 UTC Re: Auto start of X in linux Ian W. Wright 1999-07-17 02:40:57 UTC Re: Auto start of X in linux Tim Goldstein 1999-07-17 19:34:32 UTC RE: Auto start of X in linux Matt Shaver 1999-07-17 16:16:11 UTC Re: Auto start of X in linux Ian W. Wright 1999-07-18 13:15:06 UTC Re: Auto start of X in linux Ian W. Wright 1999-07-18 13:26:23 UTC Re: Auto start of X in linux Bob Bachman 1999-07-24 16:12:36 UTC Re: Auto start of X in linux Ian W. Wright 1999-07-24 15:50:20 UTC Re: Auto start of X in linux Tim Goldstein 1999-07-24 16:50:58 UTC RE: Auto start of X in linux Bob Bachman 1999-07-25 22:40:35 UTC RE: Auto start of X in linux