CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: Andy Olney's Comments on PIC-Servo

Posted by Andy Olney
on 1999-07-19 21:44:58 UTC
Thanks for the comments Matt,

----- Original Message -----
From: Matt Shaver <mshaver@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com>
Sent: Monday, July 19, 1999 12:12 AM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Andy Olney's Comments on PIC-Servo

> From: "Matt Shaver" <mshaver@...>
>
> > From: "Andy Olney" <aolney@...>
> > I am guessing you
> > would want to access the serial port through the RTLinux subsystem to be
> > sure of communicating in a timely manner.
>
> A starting point for doing this is:
>
> http://www-public.rz.uni-duesseldorf.de/~jochen/computer/software/rt_com/
>
> > I am interested in the Pic Servo because is looks to be a cost effective
> way
> > to add closed loop motion control to my mill.
>
> Some observations about the marriage of the EMC to the PIC-Servo system:
>
> 1. If I understand correctly, the Pic-Servo boards do the servo control
> themselves and you feed them position commands. I have two reservations
about
> this:
>
> A. You are wasting a lot of the EMC's capabilities.
>
> B. How are multiaxis moves coordinated?

My impression is that EMC would issue a stream of coordinated position
commands.

> 2. If you want closed loop control there are a couple other ways to go
that
> might be easier (and just as cheap) than using the PIC-Servo boards:
>
> A. If you don't yet have motors, go with steppers and add encoder
feedback.
> This could be accomplished by interfacing the encoders to the EMC via Tom
&
> Dan's DRO board. Making this work with the EMC is something that would be
> useful in a wide variety of applications.

I actually have stepper motors with encoders that are being fooled by a
variant of the Pic Servo into acting as DC brushless motors. Switching to a
straight stepper system would be easy. ( not to mention the instant
gratification of a working system!)

Discussion Thread

Matt Shaver 1999-07-19 00:12:12 UTC Re: Andy Olney's Comments on PIC-Servo Dan Mauch 1999-07-19 07:14:09 UTC Re: Re: Andy Olney's Comments on PIC-Servo Bob Bachman 1999-07-19 13:02:50 UTC Re: Re: Andy Olney's Comments on PIC-Servo Andy Olney 1999-07-19 21:44:58 UTC Re: Re: Andy Olney's Comments on PIC-Servo Tom Kulaga 1999-07-20 22:26:58 UTC Re: Andy Olney's Comments on PIC-Servo Mike Gann 1999-07-21 08:28:14 UTC Re: Re: Andy Olney's Comments on PIC-Servo Ted Robbins 1999-07-21 08:19:21 UTC Re: Re: Andy Olney's Comments on PIC-Servo Dan Mauch 1999-07-21 08:45:34 UTC Re: Re: Andy Olney's Comments on PIC-Servo Elliot Burke 1999-07-21 21:18:55 UTC re:Re: Re: Andy Olney's Comments on PIC-Servo