CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] re:Levelling large table

Posted by Joe Fahy
on 2001-01-15 12:46:15 UTC
Hi Doug,

About 2 months ago, I received a Nasa TechBriefs. In it was a short, ~200
words, write-up on composite laminators switching from aluminum tool plate
to plate glass. Cost and inherent flatness were given as the reasons. I
received a quote from a local glass company of $288 for 72"x144"x1/4" sheet
delivered, $4/sqft. I will use polyethylene sheet edges and covers to
protect the glass when not actively laminating.

I am using surplus fabric cutting room tables for my cnc fabric cutter and
foam carver. They are not as stiff as I remember them when I worked in a
cutting room in high school. I am iterating a stiffening solution using
finite element program to get the natural frequencies higher. Additional
shear reinforcements and some additional legs are planned to be added.

My plan for leveling is to install more deep section support members under
the tabletop(hardboard faced MDF) and using, as yet undesigned, leveling
jacks attached to these supports, remove as much of the tabletop sag as
possible. Then construct dams around the perimeter, install plastic sheet
on top of tabletop, screw down sheets of 10ga expanded metal mesh and pour a
self leveling floor mix(Mastertop 112 $30/bag for 23 sqft @ 1/4" thick) into
the dammed area. The actual working surface will be either polyethylene
sheet or plate glass.

I have not yet designed the machines yet, nor the attachment details to the
tables. On both the cutting table (78"x240") and the foam router table
(72"x96") I have some regenerative blowers for vacuum holdown. This feature
complicates the design. Unfortunately I have more ideas than time and
money.

I like your idea about seeing Les Watt's setup.

Good luck.

Joe Fahy