CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Smart/Dumb box again... (CPU timing)

Posted by dkowalcz@i...
on 2001-03-01 15:45:38 UTC
Alan,

Thanks for the correction, really...! I picked up a reference on
modern CPU architecture this morning, and came to pretty much the
same conclusions. It'd surely be as much work as writing an OS from
scratch to iron out all the varieties in system architecture.

So, off to get my PIC burner then and join the embedded systems
club...

Dave Kowalczyk
Ames IA

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., beer@s... wrote:
{snip}

> Oh, do have fun with that x86 ASM code.
>
> And understand that what unless you have the Intel uP manual for the
> processor you're using AND you have the datasheets on the chipset
for
> the motherboard you're using AND you have BIOS code to understand
how
> those support chips are initialized, you have no idea how long your
> loops are going to take !
>
> For example, your
>
> JMP Shift
>
> instructions will take MORE CPU cycles on a 486 than a 386, more
still
> on a Pentium and most of all on a PII ( the first time ).

{snip}

Discussion Thread

beer@s... 2001-03-01 08:51:58 UTC Re: Re: Smart/Dumb box again... (CPU timing) dkowalcz@i... 2001-03-01 15:45:38 UTC Re: Smart/Dumb box again... (CPU timing) ballendo@y... 2001-03-01 18:11:39 UTC Re: Smart/Dumb box again... (CPU timing)