CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: emc final questions

Posted by Ray
on 2001-07-26 17:13:43 UTC
Joel and other intreped EMC explorers.

From: Jon Elson <elson@...>
>Joel Jacobs wrote:
<S>Once it fails to compile EMC will no longer run. Any idea what I'm
> doing wrong?

>ARRGH! Well, I understand why EMC no longer works, as the compile
>script removes all the executables before attempting to replace them
>with newer ones.

What I have discovered over the years is that IF you simply create a new
directory and place a new copy of the EMC (enhanced machine controller) and
RCSLIB (real-time control system Library) there, ./install will be just as
happy as if it were in the original directory. There are two specific
answers here and the difference between depends on whether you are using the
BDI (brain dead install) or not.

Roll'd your own answer below----------
If you, as Jon E. and Joel both have, rolled your own version of Linux,
RTLinux, and the EMC, then you probably put the emc in a directory
something like this

/usr/local/nist/

which will contain two directories, emc and rcslib, and a few common files
including clean and install. (There are a total of about 1800 files in a
complete EMC)

If you simply copy the /usr/local/nist directory to /usr/local/nist1 or
any other name your creative juices come up with, you can do anything that
you want to the EMC in the new directory and it will not do much damage to
the running system in the old /usr/local/nist directory. The worst it will
do is ruin your custom look for the gui's (graphical user interface) because
their resource files are located in a x-windows resource directory and will
be overwritten when you install a new system. But there are copies of the
good ones in the emc directory and hints at linuxcnc.org/handbook
-----

BDI answer below----------

After the NAMES (north american model engineering society) convention, Joel
may have switched to the BDI, so that answer is below.

The BDI is one directory short of the listing above. The emc and rcslib
directories and those few specific files reside in the /usr/local
directory rather than in /usr/local/nist. I believe that it was Paul's
intent with this disk to produce a first workable version for beginners and
it seemed easier to find the essential stuff with fewer directories
nested into each other.

What I would recommend that you do is leave the basic BDI-EMC install
alone. If you have already trashed it by trying to compile a new
you should re-install using the RPM on the cd.

You can do this by logging in as root, popping the cd into the drive and
clicking on the cdrom icon. When you see the html page come up in the
directory window, click the <view> menu and click <HTML view> to show the
real directories on the cd. Move into RedHat/RPMS and find the file named
emc-rt;3.0-2i586.rpm and click on it (in most of linux one click is
sufficient. Two clicks will get you two of what you want to look at!)

At this point you should have an install package window. Simply click
replace files in addition to the others that are checked and it will do
the job for you. After a few moments you will again have a working
BDI-EMC. Yes the icons will work again. And the install will not trash
those special *.ini, *.var, *.tbl and *.run files unless you were foolish
enough to call them emc or generic. (been there and done that)

Now you can take that new EMC source file and install it to a new
directory. As above, I'd recommend that you add the nist? directory and go
from there.

You will need to run the script that Paul has prepared to get the BDI-2.04
ready for your compile one time. You will also have to make new icons if
you want to start your new EMC from the desktop

And you can compile new versions as many times as your hard drive or
/usr/local partition has capacity. I'd bet that I have at least a dozen
different run and ini combinations in each emc directory and at least five
different versions of emc running on each of the three primary PC's that I
run here. (and you thought you were already confused)
-----

HTH

Ray

Discussion Thread

whollid1@m... 2001-07-25 17:41:20 UTC emc final questions Jon Elson 2001-07-25 23:14:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] emc final questions Joel Jacobs 2001-07-26 02:18:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] emc final questions Jon Elson 2001-07-26 10:24:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] emc final questions Paul 2001-07-26 13:03:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] emc final questions Paul 2001-07-26 13:03:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] emc final questions Joel Jacobs 2001-07-26 13:33:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] emc final questions Ray 2001-07-26 17:13:43 UTC Re: Re: emc final questions Ray 2001-07-26 17:13:50 UTC Re: Re: emc final questions Joel Jacobs 2001-07-26 22:52:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Re: emc final questions