CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Newby Question : DRO and Interpreter software

paulernestca@... wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:
> > paulernestca@y... wrote:
> >
> > > Was wandering if I could use the interpreter software as a DRO
> since
> > > I am converting my mill to CNC and also in the process now to
> install
> >
> > EMC, when connected to encoders, can be used as a DRO. i think
> > there are easier ways to go, but this will work.
>

> > Jon
>
> Jon Can you elaborate more on what you wrote<i think
> there are easier ways to go> at least the headline I will try to
> search the info after.

EMC is difficult for people who aren't very computer savvy, or
don't want to learn a new operating system, as it runs under the
RT-Linux operating system. I am grateful for EMC's Linux
connection, as it forced me to discover something so great that
I now have several different projects going over to Linux, and
am migrating off of all Microsoft systems (slowly). But, a lot
of people don't want to do that. There are a bunch of DRO
programs that do just DRO, but do it well. The interpreter,
itself, does no good at all in DRO mode, as the RS-274D
commands can't really do anything useful with a machine that
has to be moved manually. As it is, you'd have to keep EMC
in E-Stop mode, which locks out most of the functions, anyway,
to have the display follow the machine position.

Now, if you mean AFTER the conversion is completed, that is a different
story! maybe I misunderstood what you were asking. Yes, most, if
not all, CNC programs that accept encoder feedback will work fine
as a DRO when the system is in E-Stop mode (the servo amps
or stepper drivers are powered off). EMC will certainly do that,
as well. You get multiple work coordinate offsets and such
stuff too (although you may have to turn on the servo amps to
enter the commands). If you are using ball screws, you need to
know that manual machining with ball screws can get tricky, as the
ballscrews are easily backdriven by cutting forces. If the work
is 'sucked' into the tool, it will cause a rather exciting crash!
I don't have any handwheels on my CNC conversion, due to the
pieces I used to make the conversion. I don't really miss them.
It forces me to think through projects a bit more, rather than just
drilling some holes "right about there". But, I really don't find it
much of a limitation.

paulernestca@y... 2001-10-07 10:08:42 UTC Newby Question : DRO and Interpreter software Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-10-07 15:21:21 UTC Newby Question : DRO and Interpreter software Jon Elson 2001-10-07 19:49:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Newby Question : DRO and Interpreter software paulernestca@y... 2001-10-08 08:59:25 UTC Re: Newby Question : DRO and Interpreter software Jon Elson 2001-10-08 21:32:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Newby Question : DRO and Interpreter software paulernestca@y... 2001-10-09 13:38:12 UTC Re: Newby Question : DRO and Interpreter software