CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Linux??

Bertho Boman wrote:

> From: Bertho Boman <boman@...>
>
> First of all, I have put on my flameproof suit and I am not trying to start a war. A lot of years ago, I even used a Unix clone
> so I have been exposed to the culture. I do not think the issues that Hoyt brought up is about EMC, I think it is Linux. I
> have been thinking about writing this for a long time and I guess now is a good time.
>
> I have been reading about endless problems of people that forever have been trying to first get Linux running and then EMC. A
> very large part of the problems seams to be Linux itself. There is nothing wrong with it as such but experienced Windows users
> will have a hard time getting up to speed on a different OS which is normal. That is further aggravated by the need for the
> older kernel. If there was 1/100 of the problems experienced in the Linux OS with Windows, people would scream bloody murder.

Well, I think I've heard that screaming, and done a bit of it myself. have you
ever heard anyone say Windows (name of your least favorite version here)
is unreliable? Crashed disks? Scanners / sound cards / network cards that
don't work, work unreliably, or whatever? Crashes whenever you have too
many applications running? General Protection Faults right in the middle of
serious work? Install a new program, and 3 old ones that were working
now go haywire?

Well, as I say, I've had a fair bit of this, myself. But, after going through some
hassle getting Linux working the first time, I've had VERY little trouble with
it! I'm very pleased! And, a computer that is actually moving hundreds of
pounds of Iron against a rapidly turning cutting tool is no place for flaky
software!

Bertho Boman 1999-10-11 11:51:04 UTC Re: Linux?? Jon Elson 1999-10-11 23:20:38 UTC Re: Linux?? TheDragonPit 1999-10-12 05:20:08 UTC Re: Linux??