CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Stepper Motor Driver Help Needed

on 1999-10-13 09:02:05 UTC
Matt,
If you still have the Bridgeport power supply, get Microkinetic's 8010
drivers and use the Bridgeport power. The 8010 will handle up to 80 volts
and 10 amps. I think they are about $350.00 each.
Darrell

----- Original Message -----
From: Matt Shaver <mshaver@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 1999 12:27 AM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper Motor Driver Help Needed

> From: "Matt Shaver" <mshaver@...>
>
> I'm basically finished with my retrofit of an old Bridgeport BOSS6 using
the
> original stepper motors and a Camtronics 5A 3 axis driver board. My
problem
> is that my top speed is about 12-15 inches per minute. I think the problem
is
> that I don't have a high enough output voltage to accelerate those giant
> motors. It's my fault, Dan Mauch did say that he thought that I would find
> this setup to be underpowered for my application, but I thought I might
> squeeze by since the original supply voltage was 56V and I've got 40V now.
> also lowered the value of the current sense resistors on the Camtronics
board
> to allow running at more than 5A. I'm set up at 7A now and I don't have
any
> overheating problems at all, but I don't have the performance I need
either.
> What I've done is apply a 40V/5A solution to an 80V/10A problem. Anyway
> (there is a point to this), I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1. Can anyone recommend a source of high power bipolar stepper motor
drivers
> and the associated power supply, preferably cheap? I don't need
> microstepping, half stepping would be fine and I'd even consider a good
full
> step only solution if the price was right, however it seems that most all
the
> drivers have half step capabilities at a minimum. I've looked at Ahha
> (microstepping & expensive, but really nice) and Microkinetics (gonna call
in
> the morning, I mean like when it gets light outside...) I'd prefer
something
> off the shelf (I know, bend over...) since I'd like to wrap this project
up
> and move on to my next fiasco.
>
> 2. Anyone wanna buy a complete Camtronics 5A 3 axis stepper driver system
> already built with fans, power supply, and a really spiffy mounting
bracket
> (I'll post a picture later)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt (soon to be about $1500 poorer) Shaver
>
> > Welcome to CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@...,an unmoderated list for the
discussion of shop built systems in the above catagories.
> To Unsubscribe, read archives, change to or from digest.
> Go to: http://www.onelist.com/isregistered.cgi
> Log on, and you will go to Member Center, and you can make changes there.
> For the FAQ, go to http://www.ktmarketing.com/faq.html
> bill,
> List Manager

Discussion Thread

Matt Shaver 1999-10-13 00:27:04 UTC Stepper Motor Driver Help Needed Al Schoepp 1999-10-13 08:16:37 UTC Re: Stepper Motor Driver Help Needed Darrell Gehlsen 1999-10-13 09:02:05 UTC Re: Stepper Motor Driver Help Needed Paul Corner 1999-10-13 13:49:03 UTC Re: Stepper Motor Driver Help Needed Jon Elson 1999-10-13 16:28:01 UTC Re: Stepper Motor Driver Help Needed Darrell Gehlsen 1999-10-13 17:38:33 UTC Re: Stepper Motor Driver Help Needed Matt Shaver 1999-10-13 23:20:23 UTC Re: Stepper Motor Driver Help Needed