CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Stepper Motor Driver Help Needed

on 1999-10-13 17:38:33 UTC
Jon,
I have worked with a large number of BOSS stepper drivers and the most
common problem has been with the output transistors that can be replaced for
about $6.00 each. The problem is not with the drivers or the transistors,
the problem is with the Bridgeport operating system. The BOSS system begins
a move by jumping to about 3 IPM (that's ok) then ramps up to what ever
speed it was programmed for then ramps down to about 3 IPM and then slams to
a stop. That turns those big steppers into generators and reverse voltages
the transistors and pops them.
I didn't recommend for you to use them earlier because your requirement was
for a half step driver. If you want to try the Bridgeport drivers, let me
know and I will try to help.
Darrell

----- Original Message -----
From: Jon Elson <jmelson@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 1999 4:28 PM
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper Motor Driver Help Needed

> From: Jon Elson <jmelson@...>
>

> Paul Corner wrote:
>
> > Have you thought of replacing the MOSFETS on Dan's board with some
> > opto-isolator chips and using te output from these to drive a high
voltage
> > bridge ?
> > I know it involve a bit of messing around, but there are plenty of high
voltage
> > FETs to choose from, or even IGBTs.
> >
> > Jst a thought, doesn't the BOSS motor drives have a set of inputs from
an
> > external step sequencer ? It may be possible to use a PBD3517 to drive
the BOSS
> > boards direct.
>
> Well, the usual problem is that the poorly designed BOSS drivers are
> usually burned out when you get the machine. If not, the will burn out
> soon. So, the whole idea is to dispose of the BOSS drivers.
>
> Jon
>
> > Welcome to CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@...,an unmoderated list for the
discussion of shop built systems in the above catagories.
> To Unsubscribe, read archives, change to or from digest.
> Go to: http://www.onelist.com/isregistered.cgi
> Log on, and you will go to Member Center, and you can make changes there.
> For the FAQ, go to http://www.ktmarketing.com/faq.html
> bill,
> List Manager

Discussion Thread

Matt Shaver 1999-10-13 00:27:04 UTC Stepper Motor Driver Help Needed Al Schoepp 1999-10-13 08:16:37 UTC Re: Stepper Motor Driver Help Needed Darrell Gehlsen 1999-10-13 09:02:05 UTC Re: Stepper Motor Driver Help Needed Paul Corner 1999-10-13 13:49:03 UTC Re: Stepper Motor Driver Help Needed Jon Elson 1999-10-13 16:28:01 UTC Re: Stepper Motor Driver Help Needed Darrell Gehlsen 1999-10-13 17:38:33 UTC Re: Stepper Motor Driver Help Needed Matt Shaver 1999-10-13 23:20:23 UTC Re: Stepper Motor Driver Help Needed