CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] DOS Install

Gail & Bryan Harries wrote:

> H.B.Shah,
> I was under the impression that DOS only uses an 8 character format...
>
> so would the directory name not be [My_Doc~1] or similar?

In some DOS modes, and using standard 'internal' utilities like
copy, del, type, etc. it is actually passing the commands up into
the standard windows utility routines, so it WILL take long file
names, unless they have spaces in them, which breaks the
syntax structure. It will always take the short form, too.
External DOS utilities like pkunzip will NOT take the long file
names in general (although some late versions may have the
extra code to figure them out) and none will handle file names
with spaces, again. So, yes, most likely my_doc~1 (does it substitute
an "_" for spaces in the windows file name?) would be the directory
name. Anyway, you can test with the dir command, when you get
a file name that dir will list correctly, then you should be able to
use that name for all utility programs, and they should find the file.

feck123@a... 2001-11-09 11:32:17 UTC DOS Install heemanshu B Shah 2001-11-09 18:26:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] DOS Install Gail & Bryan Harries 2001-11-09 19:00:28 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] DOS Install Jon Elson 2001-11-09 22:14:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] DOS Install Carol & Jerry Jankura 2001-11-10 05:51:39 UTC Software Tooks, was "DOS Install" Jon Elson 2001-11-10 20:49:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] DOS Install ballendo@y... 2001-11-12 00:58:11 UTC Re: DOS Install