CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gecko ERR/RES Handling

on 2001-12-18 09:30:36 UTC
Dan,

I think you are onto something regarding the positive going step pulse. Dad
and I fought the geckos for a couple of days a couple of weeks ago, faulting
all over the place, trying to get acceleration ramping right etc. It was so
frustrating. Dad is growing to have a strong dislike for the Geckos, after
having so many problems in the past with the earlier bug ridden drives, and
another bad experience he had with the Gecko company.

Finally Dad did just what you did and flipped the direction of the step
pulses so that they were positive going and then things seemed to clear up.
We were both so exhausted, I don't think we thought it all through, since
Dad was focused on another problem relating to this in which his control
was letting the step line float with only a 10 k pull up resistor on its
input. Earlier drives he used in his system did not load down the step
input line. He suddenly realized that the 10 k was not enough to pull up
the input to the Gecko and so he reversed his whole scheeme and then
reversed the step pulses so that they were positive going. Things then
started to work better, and we finally got things working.

Is there anything documented on this? Our Gecko experience has been very
frustrating all around, and I don't know if Dad will go back to them again
or not.

I am glad Marris fixed the error/reset line problem.

We were trying to get real fast rapids (not machining) and we did not care
much about the error then. Of course .01 " of error would have been
unacceptable machining.

Dave