CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Lilo trouble

on 1999-10-24 11:21:03 UTC
Arne, I ran into that same problem a few times in my
install initiation. The main thing is to remove all the
partions with fdisk, before linux formats the disk.
Delete all the partions with fdisk, and quit then. Then
do the linux install.

Steve

----------
From: Arne Chr.Jorgensen <instel@...>
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Lilo trouble
Date: Sunday, October 24, 1999 10:51 AM

From: "Arne Chr.Jorgensen" <instel@...>

Hi ,

I have had a lot of data trouble, and installation trouble again :)( I
don't now which way to bend anymore )

I started having trouble with a Win98 box, - and I just could not
reinstall it. Then I install Linux on another machine. Both have the
same hard disk type. On the linux box, it would not install RH5.2,
complained about partition table. Tried Win98, and it was neither able
to install on this.
In the end I swapped the disks, and now I have them almost up an
running.

This needs a few words: It looks as if "something" is still on the
disk, after using FDISK and format, even to change partion sizes. So I
swapped the disks, and it then saw some new hardware and bios, - somehow
this kicked it some place ? - ( I did FDISK and format ) - then swapped
them back where they used to be. On one of them I did another
FDISK/Format - I think. But anyway this gave them a kick that got them
loose from the ditch they were stalling. :)

I still got some problems, and now I will only ask about the Linux box.
There is something wrong in the MBR ( master boot record ) - I only get
LI - no LO: It starts up with the boot disk, and everything seems to
work fine. So, how do I make it rewrite the MBR ?

Then I have all sorts of shi... with the X setup, of coarse -

//ARNE

Welcome to CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@...,an unmoderated list for the
discussion of shop built systems in the above catagories.
To Unsubscribe, read archives, change to or from digest.
Go to: http://www.onelist.com/isregistered.cgi
Log on, and you will go to Member Center, and you can make changes there.
For the FAQ, go to http://www.ktmarketing.com/faq.html
bill,
List Manager

Discussion Thread

Arne Chr.Jorgensen 1999-10-24 10:51:00 UTC Lilo trouble Steve Carlisle 1999-10-24 11:21:03 UTC Re: Lilo trouble Darrell Gehlsen 1999-10-24 22:21:42 UTC Re: Lilo trouble Arne Chr.Jorgensen 1999-10-25 16:24:52 UTC Lilo trouble Bertho Boman 1999-10-25 16:24:29 UTC Re: Lilo trouble Dan Falck 1999-10-25 17:07:33 UTC Re: Lilo trouble Paul Corner 1999-10-26 14:53:36 UTC Re: Lilo trouble Paul Corner 1999-10-26 14:53:36 UTC Re: Lilo trouble