CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Lilo trouble

Posted by Paul Corner
on 1999-10-26 14:53:36 UTC
On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, you wrote:
> From: Dan Falck <dfalck@...>
> This might be totally off but here's something to check- look at the
> lilo.conf file (/etc/lilo.conf). I screwed mine up one time and got LI
> instead of LILO. It should probably look something like:

Hi Dan
Here's an extract from my manual that may be of interest.

When LILO is launched, it displays the word LILO. Every letter signifies a
certain state. If LILO cannont be launched, the output letters give a clue to
where the error occurred :

none - No part of LILO has been loaded. Either LILO is not installed at all or
the partition with LILO's boot sector has not been started.

L error - The first step has been loaded and started but the second step (
/boot/boot.b ) could not be loaded. This normally points to a physical error on
the boot device or a faulty disk geometry.

LI - The second step has been invoked but could not be started. This can be due
to a faulty disk geometry or moving /boot/boot.b without reinstalling LILO.

LIL - The second step of LILO has been started but could not allocate needed
data from it's map file. This is typically due to a physical error of the boot
device or a faulty disk geometry

LIL? - The second step has been loaded at a wrong memory address. This can be
due to a faulty disk geometry or to moving /boot/boot.b without reinstalling
LILO.

LIL- - Data in the map file is invalid. This can be due to a faulty disk
geometry or to moving /boot/boot.b without reinstalling LILO.

LILO - Every part of LILO has been loade successfully.

The most common causes of geometry errors are not physical defects or invalid
partition tables but errors in LILO installation, including ;

* disregard of the 1024 cylinders limit
* an unsuccessful attemp at starting LILO from a logical partition.

{End of quote}
Hopefully this will be of interest to someone, if not yourself.

Regards, Paul.

Discussion Thread

Arne Chr.Jorgensen 1999-10-24 10:51:00 UTC Lilo trouble Steve Carlisle 1999-10-24 11:21:03 UTC Re: Lilo trouble Darrell Gehlsen 1999-10-24 22:21:42 UTC Re: Lilo trouble Arne Chr.Jorgensen 1999-10-25 16:24:52 UTC Lilo trouble Bertho Boman 1999-10-25 16:24:29 UTC Re: Lilo trouble Dan Falck 1999-10-25 17:07:33 UTC Re: Lilo trouble Paul Corner 1999-10-26 14:53:36 UTC Re: Lilo trouble Paul Corner 1999-10-26 14:53:36 UTC Re: Lilo trouble