CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Lilo trouble

on 1999-10-24 22:21:42 UTC
Don't forget to run
FDISK /MBR
This will write a new Master Boot Record.
Darrell

----- Original Message -----
From: Steve Carlisle <quatsein@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 1999 11:21 AM
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Lilo trouble

> From: "Steve Carlisle" <quatsein@...>
>
> Arne, I ran into that same problem a few times in my
> install initiation. The main thing is to remove all the
> partions with fdisk, before linux formats the disk.
> Delete all the partions with fdisk, and quit then. Then
> do the linux install.
>
> Steve
>
> ----------
> From: Arne Chr.Jorgensen <instel@...>
> To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com
> Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Lilo trouble
> Date: Sunday, October 24, 1999 10:51 AM
>
> From: "Arne Chr.Jorgensen" <instel@...>
>
> Hi ,
>
> I have had a lot of data trouble, and installation trouble again :)( I
> don't now which way to bend anymore )
>
> I started having trouble with a Win98 box, - and I just could not
> reinstall it. Then I install Linux on another machine. Both have the
> same hard disk type. On the linux box, it would not install RH5.2,
> complained about partition table. Tried Win98, and it was neither able
> to install on this.
> In the end I swapped the disks, and now I have them almost up an
> running.
>
> This needs a few words: It looks as if "something" is still on the
> disk, after using FDISK and format, even to change partion sizes. So I
> swapped the disks, and it then saw some new hardware and bios, - somehow
> this kicked it some place ? - ( I did FDISK and format ) - then swapped
> them back where they used to be. On one of them I did another
> FDISK/Format - I think. But anyway this gave them a kick that got them
> loose from the ditch they were stalling. :)
>
> I still got some problems, and now I will only ask about the Linux box.
> There is something wrong in the MBR ( master boot record ) - I only get
> LI - no LO: It starts up with the boot disk, and everything seems to
> work fine. So, how do I make it rewrite the MBR ?
>

> Then I have all sorts of shi... with the X setup, of coarse -
>
> file://ARNE
>
> Welcome to CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@...,an unmoderated list for the
> discussion of shop built systems in the above catagories.
> To Unsubscribe, read archives, change to or from digest.
> Go to: http://www.onelist.com/isregistered.cgi
> Log on, and you will go to Member Center, and you can make changes there.
> For the FAQ, go to http://www.ktmarketing.com/faq.html
> bill,
> List Manager
>
> > Welcome to CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@...,an unmoderated list for the
discussion of shop built systems in the above catagories.
> To Unsubscribe, read archives, change to or from digest.
> Go to: http://www.onelist.com/isregistered.cgi
> Log on, and you will go to Member Center, and you can make changes there.
> For the FAQ, go to http://www.ktmarketing.com/faq.html
> bill,
> List Manager

Discussion Thread

Arne Chr.Jorgensen 1999-10-24 10:51:00 UTC Lilo trouble Steve Carlisle 1999-10-24 11:21:03 UTC Re: Lilo trouble Darrell Gehlsen 1999-10-24 22:21:42 UTC Re: Lilo trouble Arne Chr.Jorgensen 1999-10-25 16:24:52 UTC Lilo trouble Bertho Boman 1999-10-25 16:24:29 UTC Re: Lilo trouble Dan Falck 1999-10-25 17:07:33 UTC Re: Lilo trouble Paul Corner 1999-10-26 14:53:36 UTC Re: Lilo trouble Paul Corner 1999-10-26 14:53:36 UTC Re: Lilo trouble