CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Windows and black boxes

Posted by CL
on 2002-01-25 11:04:06 UTC
Ron, I have heard your opinion this before and should have asked you a few
questions about it.

I am curious what one would typically do, IF, FlashCut did tell individuals
exactly what propriety code was being sent from the Computer to the Box ?

Is this simply to allow one to create your own custom GUI ? Thats what I'm
thinking you'd like to do.

Don't we all like to put "buttons" and "features" where WE want ! Seems
getting GUI changes are sometimes the hardest.

I suspect that even knowing this "Code", One would still be limited to
whatever capability the electronics IN the black box are capable of. In other
words you really could not Add Functions, just call them up in different
ways.
Now, I wonder if Flashcut did reveal the proprietary language, but still
charged for the black box, if anyone would buy it anyhow ? It would probably
not be an inexpensive part of the overall picture.

I think it is real clear why a company won't reveal a code like in this case.
They need to get paid ! And deserve to get paid for what they have done. This
goes for all of the contributers to this market. They all set their price
structure, they all I'm sure ask themselves how important it is to protect
their investment in development time. If they have families that work for
them, they are likely concerned that they can deliver a paycheck to them each
week. I'm glad my boss is concerned over such things !

I have a pretty good respect for that. I wouldn't give out "freely"
everything I worked hard to develop.....
Thus, In the case of FC, the box "acts" as a dongle. No Box ? No Worky. The
Software itself as a Demo, is full blown. Nothing missing in it. One just
needs the Black box to really use it.

I am sure if a company with those techniques was approached by someone in
need of just the hardware aspect, it could be had. It comes down to how much
it is worth to those on each side of the deal.

Reverse engineering *can* be regarded as theft. So people need to be careful,
not that it has never happened before.

I am maybe a bit "green" in regards understanding the heavy machine market.
Which companies make "freely" available the Proprietary Code end of their
machines, and what do people do with it ? I thought G-code in one end - and a
machine moves accordingly was about the most important part.

Thanks,
Chris L