CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] BlackBox Housing Compromise ?

Posted by Chris L
on 2002-02-03 11:07:59 UTC
I'm surprised no one seemed interested in this type of "packaging" for
Mariss' new project. I received the new CyberGuys catalog in the mail and
looked at some of the Inexpensive 5.25" Drive Bay Multi-Function Mounting
Kits.

(example # 161 0402 http://cyberguys.com/ )

At a whopping $3.00 each (retail), The new proposed "black box" circuit board
could easily be mounted in that frame. The Frame, if mounted inside a PC case
as has been requested by some, would stick thru the face of the PC, and the
front panel could then have a separate power switch, E-Stop, or operational
LED's exposed and accessable.

If this new "circuit" ends up being "really open", one could even use a
second 5.25" drive bay to install any other things that come up like LCD
multi line displays...................

One would think that there are enough different types of "off the shelf"
ribbon cables and the like, to make connections from Mariss' new board to the
back Slots of the PC case.

If this PC cabinet also happens to have a working PC in it, those lucky
enough to have a header on their motherboard for Com1 or 2 could simply
connect to the "new control" board internally. Those newer ATX jobs would
need a serial port "in-out" cable unfortunately but with all of the back
slot/plug options this should not be much of a challenge to put together even
on a sunday afternoon with parts from Radio Shack.

Power from an existing AT-ATX power supply would then be nice, yet a WalWart
method could still come into the back of the PC slots with a simple power
Jack.

Individuals who really prefer to NOT have the step/dir signal generating
device in the associated PC could install the 5.25" drive bay adapter into a
External Scsi drive cabinet (small), a 19" rackmount PC cabinet, or even
their driver cabinet if properly shielded. This sounds pretty "open" to me,
solving many of the ideas presented in the original related post.

Those who hate the entire concept of the 5.25" drive bay adapter can throw
the bloody $3 thing away and do what they want !

Chris L