CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: BlackBox Housing Compromise ?

Posted by aspaguy
on 2002-02-03 12:59:47 UTC
Chris, I think its a great Idea, Even before The string on using a
computer case got started, I had rescued a computer tower from a
friends thrift shop donations. The price tag of free sure beat 60
bucks at automotion direct. And, Its even large enough to house a
Huge 48 volt acme electric power supply! If Mariss's board would
mount into one of the trays without the need for additional mounting
brackets, etc. so much the better. I wonder how hard it would be to
machine a combination heat sink/computer bay drive mount system for
the gecko drives. As I understand it, shop conditions are very hard
on floppy & cd drives. If one were to network the shop computer with
one in a clean office. you could remove the floppy & cd drives if you
needed more room to mount other accessories. Top notch potential for
this Idea, I'd say. Thanks,
Dale

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Chris L <datac@l...> wrote:
> I'm surprised no one seemed interested in this type of "packaging"
for
> Mariss' new project. I received the new CyberGuys catalog in the
mail and
> looked at some of the Inexpensive 5.25" Drive Bay Multi-Function
Mounting
> Kits.
>
> (example # 161 0402 http://cyberguys.com/ )
>
> At a whopping $3.00 each (retail), The new proposed "black box"
circuit board
> could easily be mounted in that frame. The Frame, if mounted inside
a PC case
> as has been requested by some, would stick thru the face of the PC,
and the
> front panel could then have a separate power switch, E-Stop, or
operational
> LED's exposed and accessable.
>
> If this new "circuit" ends up being "really open", one could even
use a
> second 5.25" drive bay to install any other things that come up
like LCD
> multi line displays...................
>
> One would think that there are enough different types of "off the
shelf"
> ribbon cables and the like, to make connections from Mariss' new
board to the
> back Slots of the PC case.
>
> If this PC cabinet also happens to have a working PC in it, those
lucky
> enough to have a header on their motherboard for Com1 or 2 could
simply
> connect to the "new control" board internally. Those newer ATX jobs
would
> need a serial port "in-out" cable unfortunately but with all of the
back
> slot/plug options this should not be much of a challenge to put
together even
> on a sunday afternoon with parts from Radio Shack.
>
> Power from an existing AT-ATX power supply would then be nice, yet
a WalWart
> method could still come into the back of the PC slots with a simple
power
> Jack.
>
> Individuals who really prefer to NOT have the step/dir signal
generating
> device in the associated PC could install the 5.25" drive bay
adapter into a
> External Scsi drive cabinet (small), a 19" rackmount PC cabinet, or
even
> their driver cabinet if properly shielded. This sounds
pretty "open" to me,
> solving many of the ideas presented in the original related post.
>
> Those who hate the entire concept of the 5.25" drive bay adapter
can throw
> the bloody $3 thing away and do what they want !
>
> Chris L
>
> Chris L wrote:
>
> > Ok
> > I could be a day late and as much as $10 short with this idea but
here
> > goes.....
> >
> > Why not have Mariss make the new step and direction pc board with
> > Brackets attached so that you can install it into a PC Drive
Bay ?? He