CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EMC and new Redhat.

Posted by Ian Wright
on 1999-11-13 02:23:54 UTC
Hi Fred,

I've just been looking to download the RT-linux patch and I can't locate the
Beta16 version on the FSM Labs site. It looks like they are happy with it
and have renamed it RTlinux-2.0 but there appears to be 2 versions which has
confused me a little. There is a straight RTlinux-2.0.tgz at around 1/2MB
and an RTlinux-2.0-prepatched.tgz at around 15MB so I'm not sure which would
be best. Looking at the file sizes, I assume that the '-prepatched-' version
is a complete RTlinux kernel but would this work with EMC?

Ian
--
Ian W. Wright
Sheffield UK

----- Original Message -----
From: Fred Proctor <proctor@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com>; <emc@...>; <jpk@...>
Sent: 10 November 1999 15:47
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC and new Redhat.

> From: Fred Proctor <proctor@...>
>
> EMC Folks,
>
> Ian Wright wrote:
>
> > I'm a little confused! I was looking at the new release of EMC and
> > downloaded it and the Beta11 version of RTlinux and then realised that I
> > don't have a copy of the right kernel.
> > Can anyone help and tell me whether
> > either of the versions of RedHat I have are any use or, if not, what I
need
> > to download and from where? Thanks.
>
> Will and I just ran some tests of the EMC on the latest version of Red
> Hat Linux. There is a bug in the Linux "gettimeofday" function that
> messes up the clock and slows down processes that call it. We're looking
> into this with the Linux and RT Linux people. We worked around it in all
> components except the xemc. However, the Tcl/Tk-based GUI is OK and it's
> ready to be tested, so the xemc will soon be obsolete.
>
> I don't recommend going to Red Hat 6.0 or 6.1 yet, but if you want to,
> it can work. You'll need to wait until we get a clean and working
> release, which should be after the weekend. Here's the summary:
>
> 1. Get a copy of Red Hat Linux 6.0 or 6.1. We got 6.1 off a mirror site.
> It's about 600 MB, so don't try this through a modem. Buy a CD instead.
>
> 2. Get a copy of the "pristine" Linux source tree, version 2.2.13, from
> www.kernel.org. Red Hat makes some small changes to the Linux source
> tree in their distributions that cause the real-time patch to fail. The
> source tree is about 15 MB.
>
> 3. The latest real-time patch is beta16, aka RT Linux 2.0. If you go to
> the RT Linux home page, www.rtlinux.org/~rtlinux, and go to the FSM Labs
> link, you can get this patch. Note that it works with Linux kernel
> 2.2.13.
>
> 4. Install the pristine sources, patch them as usual, and run the
> examples.
>
> 5. Get the soon-to-be-released EMC for Linux 2.2 and test it out.
>
> --Fred
>
> > Welcome to CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@...,an unmoderated list for the
discussion of shop built systems in the above catagories.
> To Unsubscribe, read archives, change to or from digest.
> Go to: http://www.onelist.com/isregistered.cgi
> Log on, and you will go to Member Center, and you can make changes there.
> For the FAQ, go to http://www.ktmarketing.com/faq.html
> bill,
> List Manager

Discussion Thread

Ian Wright 1999-11-09 10:40:53 UTC EMC and new Redhat. Brian L. 1999-11-09 12:44:26 UTC Re: EMC and new Redhat. Ian Wright 1999-11-09 14:32:56 UTC Re: EMC and new Redhat. Fred Proctor 1999-11-10 07:47:06 UTC Re: EMC and new Redhat. Brian L. 1999-11-10 21:54:39 UTC Re: EMC and new Redhat. Ian Wright 1999-11-11 13:33:30 UTC Re: EMC and new Redhat. Ian Wright 1999-11-13 02:23:54 UTC Re: EMC and new Redhat. Fred Proctor 1999-11-15 08:54:31 UTC Re: EMC and new Redhat.