CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Parallel port isolation

Posted by hansw
on 1999-11-22 17:49:53 UTC
Doug,
Yes I have a few ot them, if you are referring to the 5Vin to 9Vout...
they work just fine, but there is really no need to use them as a simple
transformer isolated PSU achieves the same thing. Remember isolation is
limited to the signal side, because there will be a common ground
through the 115V AC outlet.

I did a design for NMEA ( the boat lot not nema) that requires complete
isolation on certain lines, and then I used the DC-DC converters to that
end...

It is also a requirement in medical electronics, but for a mill, what
you are trying to archieve will be done by a good quality transformer
based PSU..

CNCPRO.EXE I have it and like it, because the interface is simple and
easy to use. You name sake Doug does a good job of supporting it.

I am unclear what you mean by feed rate override..

You can increase and decrease the feed rate while a cut is being done.
The amount you increase the F/R by is set in the setup. I have mine so
that I can increment/.decrement F/R by 0.1ipm This is done by pressing
the "F" for increase and "f" for decrease.
Stop is done by pressing the space bar, and all feed's stop. You then
have the option to continue or over ride by doing manual jog...

Is that what you meant ?

regards
Hans Wedemeyer

"Harrison, Doug" wrote:

> Hans;
>
> Optoisolation of the output (or is it the input - can't remember)
> requires
> an external power supply. Jameco sells a DC-DC converter for about $6
> that
> will do this. I used one on a servo system for the limit switches.
> The
> opto chips and converter could all be put on a breakout board with all
> necessary screw terminals for connection to the machine, limits,
> etc.
>
> Plans at this time are to stick with DOS. I am mulling over Doug
> Yeager's
> CNCPro right now. The price is right, but I can't determine from the
> demo
> if the software performs to my level of expectation. The lack of a
> feed
> rate override knob troubles me too. Bridgeport used keyboard FRO on
> the
> newer CNC's and I don't like it at all. Microkinetics uses keyboard
> feed
> hold and I know from experience this is not safe. One tap stops the
> feed.
> Tap it two times (in a panic) and it keeps going.
>
> Doug

Discussion Thread

Harrison, Doug 1999-11-22 12:45:35 UTC Parallel port isolation hansw 1999-11-22 13:20:02 UTC Re: Parallel port isolation Bob Campbell 1999-11-22 16:46:46 UTC Re: Parallel port isolation Harrison, Doug 1999-11-22 14:39:17 UTC RE: Parallel port isolation hansw 1999-11-22 15:18:34 UTC Re: Parallel port isolation Harrison, Doug 1999-11-22 15:58:38 UTC RE: Parallel port isolation PTENGIN@x... 1999-11-22 17:04:50 UTC Re: Parallel port isolation hansw 1999-11-22 17:49:53 UTC Re: Parallel port isolation Harrison, Doug 1999-11-23 04:52:54 UTC RE: Parallel port isolation Harrison, Doug 1999-11-23 05:36:02 UTC RE: Parallel port isolation hansw 1999-11-23 06:04:22 UTC Re: Parallel port isolation JanRwl@x... 1999-11-23 17:45:48 UTC Re: Parallel port isolation Ron Ginger 2000-07-20 10:19:06 UTC Parallel port isolation Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-07-20 14:20:47 UTC Re: Parallel port isolation