CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] extrusion of Linear Bearing pillow block question...

Posted by Chris L
on 2002-02-16 21:08:42 UTC
To hold a bearing into an extrusion provided the bearing fits snugly, you do
not have to use a "C" clip. Most of them actually just use a "Star" or
"spider" "push in" retainer. This is a round spring steel ring with little
"diggers" all the way around the outside. When you push one in from each end
correctly, it will dig in to the extrusion and hold the bearing in place. I
even have thomsons like that.

So NO setscrew, NO machineing the slot. Just a cheap clip.

There is also the bonding techniques..... Today I think you really can "glue"
just about anything together.

For some of the neatest extrusions available anywhere, check out:
http://www.paletti-profilsysteme.de/USA/usa.htm

You will need to go to the "Shop" link, then select profiles 40. They have
round holes and thick wall extrusions. The problem is that that particular
size/offer is that they do not have very big holes. then to make matters
worse, their next size up extrusions do not use round holes !

They do have rail Without any holes, just a solid block with T-Slots around
the outside.

Paletti has some really neat ( and I mean Really neat !) Linear motion
systems that run outside of their extrusions using round undrilled rail. They
just "snap" rail into holders that slide into the T-Slots.

Be sure to check out the "linear systems" link. I think they may have the
most rigid extrusions available as well.

But, do not get too cozy with the linear stuff....... I've seen the
prices,........they match the rest of the world when it comes to that.......
Somehow, the word "Linear" always means $$$$$$.

Chris L