CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] indexing layout for larger capacity

on 2002-02-17 21:46:27 UTC
The "index" is problably implemented manually. It's most likely not a
"reposition" command. I ran a W.A.Whitney 642C Plasma/Punch for a few
years, and since we were limited to a 48" cut in the X direction, used a
command to repo both forward, and backward! The sheet (workpiece) was
clamped to the X-Axis, which moved L & R, and the roller table moved in the
+ / - Y direction. The torch was stationary... the sheet moved under the
punch for punched holes, then offset to the torch for shape burning. For a
repo, I'd command the sheet to move under a set of hold-down clamps,
release the sheet-holding clamps, and move them to a new X-Position,
re-grip the sheet, release the hold-downs, and the machine would now
"offset" every X move by the amount of the repo, to hit the places I
needed. This was done under a macro's command. All I had to do was specify
the amount of repo, and make sure the hold-downs didn't clamp over a
previously made hole. The longest sheet I ever cut was 184" long, which
took 4 repos, because of some other constraints.

RayHex