CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CNC Part Setup

Posted by doug98105
on 2002-03-07 14:06:45 UTC
Hi Rob,

Interesting.... I don't care for this method for the same reason
Marcus mentioned. You can't manually debug the code easily.

We have a fairly sophisticated controller on one of my mills. For
irregular workpieces we position the part as you do, without having
undo concern for it's relationship to the X or Y axis. By touching
off one edge we find an angular value of how far off from true the
part is fixtured.

Generate Gcode as if the part was oriented with one or the other
axis. Then as the first part of the Gcode we insert an axis rotate
command of the previously determnined angle which allows the
controller to treat all further Gcode as if the part was perfectly
oriented.

I realize this method is not available to most CNC'ers since their
controls don't support axis rotation. I only mention it to show a
possible use for it. It has very many other uses, especially
combined with a repeat function. So, if you're ever in the position
of buying a CNC and axis rotation is an extra cost option, I advise
taking a hard look at it. It's an incredibily powerful option.
Also, IMHO, those of you writing control software should include axis
rotation.

Doug

-- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Rob Anderson" <randerson@t...> wrote:
> Gentlemen, here is a post I just placed at the shopmaster web
site. I think
> it fits in here and hope it helps. My response was in regards to a
new guy
> wondering about different ways to set up a part in a CNC.
>
> Greetings,
> Your head is swimming and you are wondering how to set up parts.
This is
> just the beginning! I taught CNC machining and injection mold
manufacturing
> for five years at a university and I have had the good fortune to
work with
> awsome toolmakers from all over the world. What I've found is that
there
> are a lot of ways to set up a part for milling. Some always set up
(zero)
> on the lower left corner so all numbers are positive. Others
indicate in on
> the middle of the part. Some on the middle, closest edge to you.
>
> Here's what I do on critical things and why. I throw my part on
the vise
> crooked. Intentionally it is mounted so it looks like I walked by,
tossed
> it down, and bolted or clamped it to the table where it landed. I
then
> verify the top is flat (parallel) table. From there I use a
wiggler (A
> spinning shaft with a spring) and touch off on two locations on
each of the
> four vertical edges (assuming a square or rectangular part). Each
time I
> touch off I write these numbers down using the machine absolute
coordinate
> system. When finished "wiggling off" I have 8 points which I plot
in
> CAD/CAM, as mentioned using the absolute coordinate system from the
mill.
> In CAD I make a square using these 8 points by connecting each set
of
> points. Of course you have to extend the lines once connected.
Once I have
> an outline of the raw part in CAD, I take the PART model in cad
and move
> and rotate it to make it match the outline of the box I just drew
(DON'T
> MOVE THE REFERENCE BOX!!!). Typically I keep the part model and the
> reference square-(frozen) on two different layers to make
manipulation
> easier.
>
> I then generate my G-Code using a cam package. Cool thing is the
numbers in
> the CAD/CAM model
> match the absolute numbers on the mill. No worry about loosing
your G54
> (home) position.
>
> This method is by far the most time intensive method for setting
up. But in
> the five years I used it, I didn't screw up any parts because of
being
> located in the wrong position or from being .002" or so off in the
wrong
> direction. Reason being by indicating on all four sides you are
halving (at
> a minimum) the error from only wiggling on two edges. Plus if you
make a
> typo keying in your numbers it shows up in CAD as the reference
square you
> draw comes out goofy looking.
>
> Authors note: I didn't say there were no screw ups in five years,
only that
> I was not indicated or homed wrong. There was still plenty of
scrap, this
> was just one less worry. :-)
>
> The advantages to this system are big. Less mistakes and
no "influence"
> from you with regards to
> "thinking" the part is "close enough". By this I mean when you
indicate a
> part in as parallel with an x or y axis, at some point you say ok
that small
> amount of error is acceptable. The way I mentioned circumvents
this.

> Disadvantages: Slower, more work, and you can not use the handles
on the
> mill in manual mode to make a slot in the x or y axis as your part
is
> sitting crooked (unless you want a slot running at an angle across
your part
> :-)
>
> I didn't always use the above described method, only when I needed
it to be
> right and really accurate the first time. - which is frequently the
case
> with injection molds (or home made gun parts :-)
>
> Hope that helps
> Rob Anderson
> Mechanical Engineer Tritronics
> (And really curious guy in general)

Discussion Thread

Rob Anderson 2002-03-07 07:51:34 UTC CNC Part Setup Marcus & Eva 2002-03-07 08:58:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Part Setup rainnea 2002-03-07 10:28:39 UTC Re: CNC Part Setup Sven Peter 2002-03-07 12:31:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Part Setup doug98105 2002-03-07 14:06:45 UTC Re: CNC Part Setup Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-03-07 16:06:48 UTC Re: CNC Part Setup Smoke 2002-03-07 16:51:45 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Part Setup doug98105 2002-03-07 22:16:18 UTC Re: CNC Part Setup Scot Rogers 2002-03-07 23:35:13 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Part Setup Andrew Werby 2002-03-08 13:34:31 UTC CNC Part Setup