CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CNC Part Setup

Posted by doug98105
on 2002-03-07 22:16:18 UTC
Alan,

It's an Autocon Delta (Dynapath) control. The axis rotation is in
the conversational programming, but the control can intermix
conversational with Gcode so no problem using axis rotation within a
Gcode program.

The code is "Nnnn (R) Xctr Yctr Cnnn". X&Y specify the center of
rotation, C specifies the angle. Cnnn is an absolute angular value,
Cnnn/ is incremental from the previous angular value. Of course the
control prompts you for the values.

Just this afternoon I used axis rotation to mill a 5/8" wide x 1.5"
long slot angled at 45 degrees. First I programmed an axis rotation
of 45 degrees, then used the canned cycle (converstaional in this
case) to mill a rectangular pocket. All done standing in front of
the machine without any CAD or CAM.

Doug

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Alan Marconett KM6VV <KM6VV@a...> wrote:
> Hi Rob, Doug,
>
> Good point! I hadn't thought about axis rotation before. Where is
it
> "commanded" on the machine (not a Gcode, I suspect)? By angle?
Might
> make for some interesting math. Starts sounding like CAD software!
>
> How about "canned" touchoff routines? Tell it to find the part, and
> save the coordinates in a file.
>
> Alan KM6VV
>

> doug98105 wrote:
> >
> > Hi Rob,
> >
> > Interesting.... I don't care for this method for the same reason
> > Marcus mentioned. You can't manually debug the code easily.
> >
> > We have a fairly sophisticated controller on one of my mills. For
> > irregular workpieces we position the part as you do, without
having
> > undo concern for it's relationship to the X or Y axis. By
touching
> > off one edge we find an angular value of how far off from true the
> > part is fixtured.
> >
> > Generate Gcode as if the part was oriented with one or the other
> > axis. Then as the first part of the Gcode we insert an axis
rotate
> > command of the previously determnined angle which allows the
> > controller to treat all further Gcode as if the part was perfectly
> > oriented.
> >
> > I realize this method is not available to most CNC'ers since their
> > controls don't support axis rotation. I only mention it to show a
> > possible use for it. It has very many other uses, especially
> > combined with a repeat function. So, if you're ever in the
position
> > of buying a CNC and axis rotation is an extra cost option, I
advise
> > taking a hard look at it. It's an incredibily powerful option.
> > Also, IMHO, those of you writing control software should include
axis
> > rotation.
> >
> > Doug

Discussion Thread

Rob Anderson 2002-03-07 07:51:34 UTC CNC Part Setup Marcus & Eva 2002-03-07 08:58:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Part Setup rainnea 2002-03-07 10:28:39 UTC Re: CNC Part Setup Sven Peter 2002-03-07 12:31:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Part Setup doug98105 2002-03-07 14:06:45 UTC Re: CNC Part Setup Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-03-07 16:06:48 UTC Re: CNC Part Setup Smoke 2002-03-07 16:51:45 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Part Setup doug98105 2002-03-07 22:16:18 UTC Re: CNC Part Setup Scot Rogers 2002-03-07 23:35:13 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Part Setup Andrew Werby 2002-03-08 13:34:31 UTC CNC Part Setup