CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: tape-O-matic

Posted by Ted Robbins
on 1999-12-21 17:34:48 UTC
That rotogenerator is called a Georator, It is wonderful, isolating surges
on a typical machine shop line, having enough inertia to get by a couple of
dropped cycles. Yes, they used it to drive the logic, plus and minus 12
volts if I remember correctly. However it is really Obsolescent. That's
why I suggested when you brought the subject up, to get rid of the control
cabinet full of elco connectors, each planning on becoming intermittant
just when you can't afford it.

Yes, you can use the circuits. The first thing you do is regap the forks
on every elco connector and never swap boards without troubleshooting to
the board you are going to swap. You don't just swap rows of boards unless
you check the gaps on the elco connectors every time you insert a card. If
you get rough with the pins you will break them or push the mother board
pins out of the motherboard.

Do you really want to go up a learning curve that holds only obsolete
information? Or would you really be better off going up a current
leaaarning curve.

Jon is right asgain. The control was developed (Not using the more modern
spindle drive) in about 1962. Those discrete boards suck up all the
current the georator puts out. Gas heating for your shop is much more
practical thean electrric heating with that control. In thae summer, when
the ambient temp reaches into the mid eighties, the silicon reaches thremal
runaway. The normal procedure is turn it off or air condition it.

At 02:54 PM 12/21/99 -0600, you wrote:
>From: Jon Elson <jmelson@...>
>

>Brad Heuver wrote:
>
>> From: "Brad Heuver" <bheuver@...>
>>
> there is a
>> rotogenerator that makes it. This is a separate motor & generator
>> combination that feeds the logic and control circuits with 5 and 12 V
>> +/- DC. (I'm not sure that it feeds the servo's now that I think about
>> it)
>
>Gasp! A Motor-Generator set is bad enough for the Servo power
>supply (I mean, like WW-II vintage) but to supply the logic power,
>that's unheard of! Are you sure it is for logic power?
>
>Are you sure this thing is a 1972 vintage control? How about 1962?
>
>Jon
>
>>Welcome to CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@...,an unmoderated list for the
discussion of shop built systems in the above catagories.
>To Unsubscribe, read archives, change to or from digest.
>Go to: http://www.onelist.com/isregistered.cgi
>Log on, and you will go to Member Center, and you can make changes there.
>For the FAQ, go to http://www.ktmarketing.com/faq.html
>bill,
>List Manager

Discussion Thread

Brad Heuver 1999-12-21 05:37:19 UTC tape-O-matic Jeff Barlow 1999-12-21 08:12:29 UTC RE: tape-O-matic Ted Robbins 1999-12-21 09:06:00 UTC Re: tape-O-matic Jon Elson 1999-12-21 12:54:19 UTC Re: tape-O-matic Ted Robbins 1999-12-21 17:34:48 UTC Re: tape-O-matic Jon Elson 1999-12-22 12:15:51 UTC Re: tape-O-matic Ted Robbins 1999-12-22 17:32:22 UTC Re: tape-O-matic Brad Heuver 1999-12-23 07:23:18 UTC tape-O-matic Jon Elson 1999-12-23 11:48:27 UTC Re: tape-O-matic Paul Devey 1999-12-23 14:46:03 UTC RE: tape-O-matic