CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: tape-O-matic

Posted by Paul Devey
on 1999-12-23 14:46:03 UTC
My condolences to your family.

Maybe we should start a Recovering CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO list serv.

Paul

Merry Christmas
-----Original Message-----
From: Brad Heuver [mailto:bheuver@...]
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 1999 10:23 AM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] tape-O-matic

Thanks for all the info on the machine to date. I'm trying to scan a few
pages of the elect. diagrams, but readability is poor at best. If I get
them into the metal web news site, I'll let ya know.
My eventual plans are to convert this thing to emc, with whatever
modifications are necessary. I do think that I will at least poewr it up
as it sits, and see if I can at least get axis to jog, readouts to
change etc. Mostly as a confidence booster, not really to ever make
chips with the existing controls. I'm also trying to get an idea if
there is ANYTHING that should be salvaged from that control cabinet;
power supplies, amps, etc... I've got a block diagram of the machine,
that should help out the discussion on this point. I'm getting the
impression that I might be best off with completely new amps, as well as
the computer with Linux/emc. Would I also be better off changing the
quantizers over to quadrature encoders? (I've got about 5 1000 count
from the small DC motors elect Goldmine sold) We already went over the
spindle speed control, and I think getting rid of that was also the
theme. I'll try to post its circuitry/block diagram as well, if I can
make it readable. A picture of the beast may come soon as well. I don't
think I'll be on the list until 2000, but I'm sure the questions have
just begun. You know, the internet, RCM, this list, Village Press,
Lindsay Publications, and the N.A.M.E.S. exhibit are all responsible for
getting me into this whole metal thing. Back in 1995 I just wanted a
small lathe to make jack shafts and the like to make disc sanders and
such for woodworking. Since then, the chips have gotten harder and more
magnetic, and I've made much less actual stuff, and filled my shop much
fuller than was ever intended. Who knows where it will stop...

Brad Heuver
Mechanical Sub-Systems fax 734-523-6052
734-52-33480 bheuver@...

--

Log on, and you will go to Member Center, and you can make changes there.
For the FAQ, go to http://www.ktmarketing.com/faq.html