CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: Grizzly Mini Mill

From: Ron Ginger <ginger@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2000 12:25 PM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Grizzly Mini Mill

> From: Ron Ginger <ginger@...>
>
> Jon Elson asked why I didnt think the Z would be easy to add a leadscrew.
> The problem is the head rides on a cast box section with the V on one face.
> The rack runs up the length of the V, but is mounted on the surface- there
> is no slot. If you tried to slot it to put a lead screw inside the box I
> think it would weaken it to much- the total travel is about 12". I suppose
> you could add a screw off to the side, but then it would have a couple and
> might tend to bind.
>
> Andy Clay suggested the machine had metric screws. I thought that at first,
> but Im fairly sure the US imports do not- I measured the screw carefuly
> and it is a 16 pitch, and the collar is clearly marked to 123 divisions-
> not 125. I also set up a Dial indicator and ran a few turns to be sure. The
> other bolts and screws holding it togetehr appear to be metric, but I
> suspect the leadscrew on the American models is realy 16tpi.
>
> I have not measured the T nuts carefully, but the 3/8" set I have from
> Grizzly for my Calusing mill is to big. I think the slot will handle a 3/8
> bolt so I can use the studs and clamps, but I will make a handfull of T
> nuts. I did not order a vise, in fact I did not see the Grizzly had one
> sized to this machine. I think Ill make a couple clamps to hold a drill
> press vise I have, for a mcahine this small it should be rigid enough.

Sounds as though your slots are a similar size as mine, which is odd because mine
was built from scratch by a talented local machinist.

The 2 1/2 inch vise was in Grizzlys' newest catalog on the same page as the mill.
I just got the catalog a couple of days ago.

> I am thinking about trying to make an anti-backlash nut out of moglice
> instead of converting to ballscrews. Since the thread is brand new and has
> no wear yet, if I cast a nut to it it should be very low backlash. Since
> this is the quickest conversion, I want to try it first. I may someday go
> back and do ballscrews, but I want to try a cast nut.
>
> Does anyone now where to purchase moglice, in a small quantity? I did a
> good bit of net searching, and can only find a few firms that use the stuff
> for repairs, but they dont say anything about selling it. Ive sent off a
> few e-mails but no answer yet. McMaster Carr or MSC do not list it.

I just posted my collection of data on turcite, at the bottom are some
links and sources for Moglice.

> I did find a web page for Devcon, and they advertise a wear resistant metal
> filled eppxy, WR-2. Has anyone ever tried it?
>
> ron

Looks to be a fun project.

Marshall

Discussion Thread

Ron Ginger 1999-12-24 05:13:39 UTC Grizzly Mini Mill MIADsgns@x... 1999-12-25 12:52:37 UTC Re: Grizzly Mini Mill Ron Ginger 2000-01-13 09:25:36 UTC Re: Grizzly Mini Mill Jon Anderson 2000-01-13 09:42:27 UTC Re: Re: Grizzly Mini Mill Marshall Pharoah 2000-01-13 09:51:45 UTC Re: Re: Grizzly Mini Mill Jon Elson 2000-01-13 14:12:28 UTC Re: Re: Grizzly Mini Mill Charles Gallo 2000-01-13 17:28:55 UTC Re: Re: Grizzly Mini Mill