CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Question about angular and linear feedrates

on 2002-08-04 15:13:04 UTC
Hi Dan, Brian,

Your points are well taken. If multiple axis moves were checked for the
number of of pulses to be generated, and the axis with the largest
number of pulses NEEDED is used to determine (calculate for) the
feedrate, then one wouldn't get any "A axis runaway", as you describe.
Without some additional calculations the feedrate wouldn't come out
"true" for an unknown radius on the 'A', but no axis/stepper would be
overdriven. My rotary table comes out to 3.6" per revolution, so one
could divide IPM by 3.6 to get RPM of the table (I think).

I know Dave (and others) do it a little differently then the simple
implementation I've done (and I haven't really paid a lot of attention
to the actual feedrates of the material...yet), but perhaps a "mode" to
give the 'A' axis feed rate (perhaps adding a radius parm?) the control.

I'm curious to hear the solution!

Alan KM6VV
P.S. Up to this point, I've only been concerned with the "care and
feeding" of the steppers, but I can see where the material feed rate is
important, and should be the determining factor. But then, I'm just
cutting aluminum, brass and now some cast iron, not the exotic metals!

Dan Statman wrote:

> The points you state are obviously correct in that the controller has no way
> of knowing the radius of the spinning part to determine a linear feedrate
> based on the rotation feedrate. My contention is this, wouldn't it always
> be a better compromise if when the feedrate is set to 1.0 then the linear
> axis should never move faster than 1.0 ipm and the rotary axis should never
> move faster than 1.0 degrees per second, and the non-limiting axis would be
> adjusted so that the move is synchronized.
>
> Certainly this would not solve every problem, but can somebody give me an
> example of when this would not be better. The only problems I have
> encountered (and also heard about from others) are when the rotary axis
> spins wildly fast to keep up with a small linear move moving at the feedrate
> value.
>
> I guess I will see if Dave K. will program this type of movement for me.
> For my work the feedrate is not super critical and I could really benefit
> from this programming scheme.
>
> Thanks for all of your input on this,
>
> Dan.

Discussion Thread

Dan Statman 2002-08-03 12:28:46 UTC Question about angular and linear feedrates Brian Pitt 2002-08-03 14:47:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Question about angular and linear feedrates rainnea 2002-08-03 16:50:08 UTC Re: Question about angular and linear feedrates Dan Statman 2002-08-03 16:51:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Question about angular and linear feedrates Dan Statman 2002-08-03 17:58:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Question about angular and linear feedrates bsptrades 2002-08-03 21:16:46 UTC Re: Question about angular and linear feedrates alenz2002 2002-08-03 21:24:03 UTC Re: Question about angular and linear feedrates Dan Statman 2002-08-03 22:16:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Question about angular and linear feedrates Dan Statman 2002-08-03 22:26:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Question about angular and linear feedrates imserv1 2002-08-04 06:11:01 UTC Re: Question about angular and linear feedrates Dan Statman 2002-08-04 08:42:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Question about angular and linear feedrates imserv1 2002-08-04 09:08:15 UTC Re: Question about angular and linear feedrates Brian Pitt 2002-08-04 14:29:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Question about angular and linear feedrates rainnea 2002-08-04 14:31:54 UTC Re: Question about angular and linear feedrates Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-08-04 15:13:04 UTC Re: Question about angular and linear feedrates Brian Pitt 2002-08-04 15:37:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Question about angular and linear feedrates cadcambee 2002-08-04 17:02:04 UTC Re: Question about angular and linear feedrates Jon Elson 2002-08-04 19:57:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Question about angular and linear feedrates Jon Elson 2002-08-04 20:13:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Question about angular and linear feedrates rainnea 2002-08-05 01:42:57 UTC Re: Question about angular and linear feedrates Brian Pitt 2002-08-05 11:04:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Question about angular and linear feedrates Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-08-05 12:43:24 UTC Re: Question about angular and linear feedrates superintendent_god_botherer2000 2002-08-05 15:20:31 UTC Re: Question about angular and linear feedrates rainnea 2002-08-05 15:34:39 UTC Re: Question about angular and linear feedrates Dan Statman 2002-08-05 15:41:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Question about angular and linear feedrates Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-08-05 16:14:59 UTC Re: Question about angular and linear feedrates Brian Pitt 2002-08-05 21:14:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Question about angular and linear feedrates Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-08-06 10:45:26 UTC Re: Question about angular and linear feedrates