CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Grizzley

Posted by beer@s...
on 2000-01-28 08:34:45 UTC
On 28 Jan, CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com wrote:
> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 23:49:02 -0600
> From: hansw <hansw@...>
> Subject: Re: Grizzly
>
> Can't say much about Bob'Cad... I just used Acad and convert using "Ace"
> it works fine for me...

Hans;

I'm just started with CNC machining. The little bit of GCode I've run,
I've written by hand.

I'm now investigating software to make this all easier. BOBCad is
pretty cool ( a friend showed me some neat tricks ), but just a little
pricey for a guy playing at home.

It was my plan to do as you do, use AutoCAD ( which I already own and
kinda know how to use ) and some DXF to GCode conversion program.
However, I do have a few questions.

1. How does "Ace" handle 3D , as in pockets and whatnot. Or are you
left to manually add Z commands after the fact ?

2. How do you deal with tool widths? CNCPro, which I'm using ( and
quite like, with a few exceptions ) doesn't handle G42/G43 commands, so
I'm really hoping you have some "magic".

My only idea is to draw the part on the "PART" layer, offsetting it to
the "outside" on the "TOOL" layer by half the tool width, fillet the
corners, then DXF the TOOL layer. Extra work, to be sure.

Thanks in advance.

Alan

--

Alan Rothenbush | The Spartans do not ask the number of the
Academic Computing Services | enemy, only where they are.

Discussion Thread

beer@s... 2000-01-28 08:34:45 UTC Re: Grizzley Fred Smith 2000-01-28 09:30:30 UTC Re: Re: Grizzley hansw 2000-01-28 11:34:14 UTC Re: Re: Grizzley PTENGIN@a... 2000-01-28 14:52:11 UTC Re: Re: Grizzley