CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Fire risk when wood routing

Posted by Brian
on 2002-09-01 13:27:45 UTC
Hi, ah the old cyclone collector, its a good machine but if you dont empty
the dust bin into a metal container everyday or after use its still a
hazzard. The sawmill here in town has gotten theirs on fire a bunch of
times, but after i suggested whenever they run into steel or hardware on the
saw or planer that they empty the cyclone into a metal bin and cover it. The
metal bin has been on fire a few times which they can handle with a garden
hose that i suggested be mounted right next to the bin! They also had to
teach all of the help that the cyclone is not an ashtray, it is not a good
thing to use when welding for sucking up the sparks and hot metal, and if a
piece of machinery catches fire first shut off the cyclone before it catches
fire too, and if you have sawdust on fire spread it out in the dirt yard
where its not a big problem.. They have had a few fires lately but been able
to contain them easily now that everyone understands....
As for the sawdust and it catching fire from spontaneous combustion, heres
what i say= There was a pile of sawdust in the town of Marlborough,nh where
i grew up, it was several hundred feet high, and when i was a kid(45 years
ago)Dick Chevette took a giant bulldozer and compacted that pile for weeks.
Then up untill 2 years ago it was just sitting there. yea it used to steam
in the winter and snow didnt stay on it long but it never caught fire.
Working at a mill in Winchester 5 years ago, i mooved a pile of chipped wood
to another place in the yard, they brought in 2 loads of ground chips which
i was gonna mix with the pile i mooved the next day. During the night the
pile i mooved caught fire and when i got there in the morning the fire dept
was still there. I know that ground wood waste has to be watched and turned
or mooved to keep it from getting too hot or catching fire.
Who knows when or how or why but when you least expect it you will have a
fire if you dont store it away from the building in a metal container.
clean up all the mess and put it in the can outside away from the building
and you will have a building in the morning even if your can catches fire.!
cul brian f.