CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Getting Started with Servo CNC

Posted by Dan Mauch
on 2002-09-12 09:19:28 UTC
If those are standard C23 Lesson motors with a 1" D raised face then I
have a motor mount already designed for the X-Z. The Y axis motor mount
for the shoptask is different. I will probably machine a few next week
for some of my customers.
If those are 3/8D motor shafts then you would/should use a 16XL037
timing belt pulley. While I would have preferred a 5/16 or 1/4" D shaft
so you could use the 14XL037 pulley. The rational is that the max size
you can bore a 14XL037 is 3/8" but the hub is only 9/16" thus the wall
of the hub will be pretty thin i.e. 3/32 wall. The 16XL037 has a 11/16 D
hub.
If you need pulleys call 1-800-426-0985 they used to be called BESCO but
they changed their name.
Here was the link to Jeff's servo motors
http://www.homecnc.info/plans.htm
Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Reikes [mailto:ereikes@...]
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 2:56 PM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Getting Started with Servo CNC

Hey Dan,
Thanks for the reply. I sent you a seperate private email for the
pictures, but figured I'd continue here with the on-topic stuff.

> 3. The shoptask X axis as I recall comes with a 42 tooth driven
pulley.
> The shaft on your motor is 5/8 D so you will probably need a fairly
> large diameter pulley on the motor losing some efficiencies.

I've been contemplating either boring out the existing pulleys (hub
would be marginal size for set screws), or ordering some bigger ones
for a 1-1 ratio.

A better
> solution would to have been to use the smaller motors that are C23
and a
> have a .250 shaft from Jeff Davis on this list. I have used similar
> motors and gotten over 135 IPM with a 3/1 ratio.

Now this is sounding like a better solution. I'll have to check into
those motors. The further I was getting into these large servos the
more I was feeling like I was trying to make a silk purse and all of
that. I got a decent deal on the large servos and I may someday use
them for something else. I'm married to servos at this point due to
my purchase of the gecko drivers (plus I think its a lot cooler way
to go).

I looked over Jeff's web page, but didn't see them for sale. I have
dropped him an email and in the mean time I'm looking for motors on
ebay.

I also just noticed that you have slightly smaller servos on your
page for $160. I think they still have the problem of the larger
diameter shaft. I believe that a nema 34 stepper has a 3/8" shaft
and the shoptask has a similar sized hole.

> Master 5 is set up to run a mill/gantry system but by swapping the
> motors cables for X and Z you would have a correct configuration
then
> all you need is the CadCam program that will give you the correct G
code
> files for a lathe.

Here's where I know just enough to get myself into trouble. Since my
lathe x and z axis are the same as my mill y and x axis
(respectively) I'm thinking I'll either just have to be careful in my
cad program to arrange things to work properly, or unplug and replug
the cables for the different setups.

I suppose I'll figure out what is best with experience.

Thanks for all your help.

-Erik Reikes

Addresses:

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it
if you have trouble.

sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are there,
for OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.

NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING THEM.

Post messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Moderator: jmelson@... timg@... [Moderator]