CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: power supply connection issues

Posted by jagco1998
on 2002-10-17 07:36:15 UTC
Thanks everyone for the great input.

Regards,
Jim

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Larry Shull <larryshu@p...> wrote:
> Jim,
> You can hook the green wire to a water pipe also, anything
that is well
> grounded. It is called a case ground for a good reason, it grounds
the case
> of the equipment. If there is a short to the case of the equipment
it takes
> it to ground instead of to you the first time that you touch it.
People used
> to get killed that way, that is why there is a 3 wire system now
instead of
> the old 2 wire system.
> The reason that the white wire is called a neutral instead of a
ground is
> because that is what it is. It may not necessarily be at ground
potential.
> It is the ground reference for the transformer but it may not be a
ground.
> If you have a clamp on amp meter put it on the neutral wire coming
from your
> house to the transformer on the pole. You will probably get a
reading on the
> neutral wire. It carries the diffrence between the 2 hot legs to
your house.
> If you have 15 amps on one hot leg and 10 amps on the other hot
leg then you
> will have 5 amps on the neutral. If you are between that neutral
and a
> better ground than the transformer has that 5 amps will pass
through you to
> ground. I personally do not want 5 amps of current passing through
me, it is
> certainly more than enough to cause a 60 cycle heart failure.
> You pays your money and you takes your chances as they say, to
you it
> may not be worth the effort of running a ground wire, to me it
would be a no
> brainer. I've been doing Power Co work for over 40 years, I expect
to retire
> next year with no burn marks on me after working with everything
from 110
> volts to 34500 volts on a daily basis.
> Larry Shull

Wht
> > to Wht.........Blk to Blk. Right?
> > Is the grounded green wire to grounding rod really necessary?
> > Will not using this "G" terminal hinder the performance of the
PS or
> > cause it to malfunction?(ie. just using L and N to power the
supply)
> > I realize that I probably sound like an idiot , but I payed good
> > money for this used Power supply, and I do not want to burn it up
> > before I even get to use it throwing some chips!
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jim
> >
> > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Larry Shull <larryshu@p...> wrote:
> > > That is an easy one! Even I am smart enough to answer that one.
> > (I'm really
> > > feeling stupid right now because I know nothing at all about
CNC,
> > but am
> > > starting to get the idea, thanks to this group.)
> > > I work for the power Co.
> > > The N is for your neutral connection, it will be the white
wire.
> > > The L is for line voltage, it will be your black wire.
> > > The G is as you guessed, the case ground wire.
> > > The neutral and the ground wires are not interchangeable.
The
> > green case
> > > ground should go to a good hard ground, such as a driven ground
> > rod. The
> > > neutral should be connected to your neutral connection in your
> > breaker box,
> > > which is a return line to the transformer. Without it you may
get
> > some
> > > strange voltages.
> > > Hope that helps you out.
> > > Larry Shull

Discussion Thread

jagco1998 2002-10-16 17:13:43 UTC power supply connection issues hllrsr@c... 2002-10-16 17:28:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] power supply connection issues Jerry Kimberlin 2002-10-16 17:30:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] power supply connection issues Garry & Maxine Foster 2002-10-16 17:45:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] power supply connection issues Larry Shull 2002-10-16 17:50:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] power supply connection issues jagco1998 2002-10-16 19:01:13 UTC Re: power supply connection issues dakota8833 2002-10-16 19:43:59 UTC Re: power supply connection issues dakota8833 2002-10-16 20:03:11 UTC Re: power supply connection issues/Correction JanRwl@A... 2002-10-16 20:33:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: power supply connection issues Jon Elson 2002-10-16 20:36:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] power supply connection issues Jon Elson 2002-10-16 20:47:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: power supply connection issues Carol & Jerry Jankura 2002-10-16 21:36:43 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: power supply connection issues Marv Frankel 2002-10-16 21:51:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: power supply connection issues Raymond Heckert 2002-10-16 21:54:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] power supply connection issues wanliker@a... 2002-10-16 22:44:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] power supply connection issues Larry Shull 2002-10-16 22:48:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: power supply connection issues jagco1998 2002-10-17 07:36:15 UTC Re: power supply connection issues