CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Ideas for matching drives on a YY axis design?

Posted by dakota8833
on 2002-10-22 19:28:49 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Doug Harrison" <prototype@c...> wrote:
> I have seen quite a few gantry drives with one screw down the center
under
> the table. This presents two problems. First, the table must be
supported
> at the corners which limits stiffness. Second, the moment loads
developed
> when the head is at either end of the gantry cause wracking of the
gantry
> (and deflection of the limp table caused by the first problem).
>
> The usual solution to these problems seems to be overbuilding the
table and
> gantry. Neither work very well. A more effective solution is to
design the
> gantry so it can be driven from one side. This works surprisingly
well,
> though it requires some unconventional thinking to accept. I would
choose
> this approach if I were doing it again.
>
> Another approach is to use two screws and link them together with
belts to
> the motor, which will then have two pulleys. The motor is placed at
one end
> of the table between the screws. Any loss of accuracy from the long
belts
> will be insignificant compared to Abbe errors, thread drunkenness
and
> thermal stratification in a sub$80K machine.
>
> Doug

Funny you should mention driving the ganty from one side ,.. I tried
this and noticed that it was more efective to drive it down the sides
or single down the middle. What one has to keep in mind is the lever
action. Driving down the center halves these forces as opposed to a
single drive at one side. Looking from under the table the structure
would look like bowtie,.. two triangles |><|,.. great stiffness.
Additional stiffness in the X axis run would come from rail
"overbuild" and with the table top asmy. Another problem with single
sided drive is with the twisting of the ganty uprights. It is doubled
for the same size mill. Any of these problems can be overcome though
,..by overbuilding. I like unconventional thinking and may use the
same concept with my next mill. I would like to hear some more about
your idea of a single sided drive.

Frank ,.... CAD CAM FEA backround

Discussion Thread

caudlet 2002-10-22 10:44:45 UTC Ideas for matching drives on a YY axis design? deanc500 2002-10-22 11:02:53 UTC Re: Ideas for matching drives on a YY axis design? Jim Brown 2002-10-22 13:58:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Ideas for matching drives on a YY axis design? Doug Harrison 2002-10-22 17:28:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Ideas for matching drives on a YY axis design? dakota8833 2002-10-22 19:28:49 UTC Re: Ideas for matching drives on a YY axis design? Gene 2002-10-23 00:05:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Ideas for matching drives on a YY axis design? caudlet 2002-10-23 05:06:12 UTC Re: Ideas for matching drives on a YY axis design? turbulatordude 2002-10-23 08:23:06 UTC 25Khz glitch ? (was Re: Ideas for matching drives on a YY axis design? deanc500 2002-10-23 17:23:38 UTC 25Khz glitch ? (was Re: Ideas for matching drives on a YY axis design? JJ 2002-10-24 05:35:58 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Ideas for matching drives on a YY axis design?