CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: How do I rout a sharp inside corner?

Posted by echnidna
on 2002-11-27 18:49:10 UTC
Hi Les,
On further consideration the chisel would work if its used as a scraper. Alternatively a blade similar to a moulding scratch stock could scrape right into a razor sharp corner. Thanks for the chisel comment, it got the ol grey box working.

Regards
bob Thomas

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "echnidna" <echnidna@y...> wrote:
> Hi Les,
> I have seen many doors cut from sheet mdf using point to point machines, suppose I should ask some questions at a cnc factory.
> The rest of your answer I had figured out already. And visually sharp is probably near enough for woodwork. Just dont need the minute precision of the metalworkers.
>
> The chisel idea is limited. How would it work on curved sections of a blind cove trench cut in a panel with 90 degree corners.
>
> Axis is not a problem, I already have 3 separate z axis with plans for a true 4th and\or 5th axis. (Once I'm operable and can cut the bits out with the machine.)
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Les Watts" <leswatts@a...> wrote:
> > Well , 5 axis machines can go a lot further with square inside corners
> > than 3 axis. I don't see that being done on commodity cupboard doors
> > though. Most I see are molded rather than machined.
> >
> > For 3 axis I just use very small diameter cutters. They can be had down
> > to 0.01" or so. Of course the process is very slow. Many cam software
> > packages can come back in a second pass to clean up just corners after
> > a tool change to a small diameter cutter.
> >
> > But that is still not a razor sharp corner. I have wondered though....
> > if the corners happen to be square to the machine axes, why not
> > have your hammer and chisel be a single point non rotating edge
> > tool on the cnc? I have considered this for some 2D inlay work.
> > It could cut or even emboss the small residual inside radius to
> > a sharp corner. 4 axis would allow corners at any angle.
> >
> > Les
> > Leslie Watts
> > L M Watts Furniture
> > Tiger, Georgia USA
> > http://www.alltel.net/~leswatts/wattsfurniturewp.html
> > engineering page:
> > http://www.alltel.net/~leswatts/shop.html
> > Surplus cnc for sale:
> > http://www.alltel.net/~leswatts/forsale.html

Discussion Thread

echnidna 2002-11-27 15:15:53 UTC How do I rout a sharp inside corner? Les Watts 2002-11-27 17:12:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How do I rout a sharp inside corner? echnidna 2002-11-27 18:26:09 UTC Re: How do I rout a sharp inside corner? doug98105 2002-11-27 18:47:54 UTC Re: How do I rout a sharp inside corner? echnidna 2002-11-27 18:49:10 UTC Re: How do I rout a sharp inside corner? echnidna 2002-11-27 18:54:08 UTC Re: How do I rout a sharp inside corner? Brian Pitt 2002-11-28 00:53:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How do I rout a sharp inside corner? Les Watts 2002-11-28 05:20:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How do I rout a sharp inside corner? Fred Smith 2002-11-28 08:29:13 UTC Re: How do I rout a sharp inside corner?