CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: How do I rout a sharp inside corner?

Posted by echnidna
on 2002-11-27 18:26:09 UTC
Hi Les,
I have seen many doors cut from sheet mdf using point to point machines, suppose I should ask some questions at a cnc factory.
The rest of your answer I had figured out already. And visually sharp is probably near enough for woodwork. Just dont need the minute precision of the metalworkers.

The chisel idea is limited. How would it work on curved sections of a blind cove trench cut in a panel with 90 degree corners.

Axis is not a problem, I already have 3 separate z axis with plans for a true 4th and\or 5th axis. (Once I'm operable and can cut the bits out with the machine.)

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Les Watts" <leswatts@a...> wrote:
> Well , 5 axis machines can go a lot further with square inside corners
> than 3 axis. I don't see that being done on commodity cupboard doors
> though. Most I see are molded rather than machined.
>
> For 3 axis I just use very small diameter cutters. They can be had down
> to 0.01" or so. Of course the process is very slow. Many cam software
> packages can come back in a second pass to clean up just corners after
> a tool change to a small diameter cutter.
>
> But that is still not a razor sharp corner. I have wondered though....
> if the corners happen to be square to the machine axes, why not
> have your hammer and chisel be a single point non rotating edge
> tool on the cnc? I have considered this for some 2D inlay work.
> It could cut or even emboss the small residual inside radius to
> a sharp corner. 4 axis would allow corners at any angle.
>
> Les
> Leslie Watts
> L M Watts Furniture
> Tiger, Georgia USA
> http://www.alltel.net/~leswatts/wattsfurniturewp.html
> engineering page:
> http://www.alltel.net/~leswatts/shop.html
> Surplus cnc for sale:
> http://www.alltel.net/~leswatts/forsale.html

Discussion Thread

echnidna 2002-11-27 15:15:53 UTC How do I rout a sharp inside corner? Les Watts 2002-11-27 17:12:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How do I rout a sharp inside corner? echnidna 2002-11-27 18:26:09 UTC Re: How do I rout a sharp inside corner? doug98105 2002-11-27 18:47:54 UTC Re: How do I rout a sharp inside corner? echnidna 2002-11-27 18:49:10 UTC Re: How do I rout a sharp inside corner? echnidna 2002-11-27 18:54:08 UTC Re: How do I rout a sharp inside corner? Brian Pitt 2002-11-28 00:53:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How do I rout a sharp inside corner? Les Watts 2002-11-28 05:20:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How do I rout a sharp inside corner? Fred Smith 2002-11-28 08:29:13 UTC Re: How do I rout a sharp inside corner?