CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Software Piracy

on 2003-01-08 14:30:35 UTC
Hi Ivan,

I think this topic is off topic and will get squashed soon.

Therefore, I'll chime in before it does.

MOST (highlight most ) software is licensed, no one but the copyright
holder owns it. therefore it is restricted as to sale and or
transfer.

My academic software copies of other programs typically state that
they cannot be transferred. period. That it the tradeoff for the
lower prices.

Most software can be sold outright, and once the new licensee
purchases the upgrade, they are also recognized. The software owner
may not willingly offer support as the new licensee has not forked
over any cash. (yet)

On a whole nother front, and the gist of what I thought started this
thread, and that is support. Who better to tell a homebrew CNC guy
how to make a particular CNC package work with all the files and file
types to go from dxf to g-code than someone who CAN DO IT ? not some
guy on the phone who read the manual.

This list offers the particular operations needed to get the job done.

Personally, I had been given a copy of ACAD some many years ago, and
asked for a letter of sale. I could get nothing from the guy (a
colleague) so I just sent the disks back to Autodesk with an
explanation. Luckily, a few months latter I did get a legitimate
copy. Hated the interface and leave the manuals on my shelf so
people would wow that I owned it. The fact that the fine was like
$10,000 to have bootleg disks was a HUGE influence in that matter.

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Louise Nichols <ouisel@v...>
wrote:
> "Kevin P. Martin" wrote:
>
> > In a message dated 1/8/2003 7:34:19 AM Mountain Standard Time,
> > imserv@v... writes:
> >
> > > Since the group has a strong antipiracy stance, it further
brings into
> > > question the support of Autocad users that cannot get direct
support from
> > > their rep or from Autodesk.
> > This seems unreasonable to me, as there could be several reasons
why the user
> > can not or does not want help from Autodesk or their rep (other
than a hot
> > version of the software). You can't really be sure what those
reasons might be.

> > I generally avoid software companies' help service, after trying
a couple of
> > times and being disappointed by the low quality of the responses.
Groups such as
> > this one are generally a more satisfying way of getting help.
> >
> > Of course, general AutoCad help should not be given in this
particular group,
> > since it is off-topic.
> > -Kevin Martin
> >
> > Addresses:
> > Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
> >
> > Subscribe: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
> > Moderator: jmelson@a... timg@k... [Moderator]
> >
> > OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> > If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach
it if you have trouble.
> > http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

to be a sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members
are there, for OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.

> > NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY
POSTING THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO
EXCEPTIONS........

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

> Kevin,
>
> I think I'm the one who created this discussion about AutoCAD
piracy. I made the comment to another list member about one of my
students who was given AutoCAD R14 and Mech Desktop when his employer
> went to a different CAD package. I had made the comment about being
in the right place at the right time - like being there when old CNC
equipment is discarded. I wasn't aware that being given a legit
> copy of AutoCAD that way was a form of piracy.
>
> As a teacher, with proper licensing on all the software in my
classroom, I've contacted AutoDesk (or a rep) in the past for support
and wasn't particularly impressed with the response that I got. At
> the present time I don't mess with contacting AutoDesk unless I
absolutely have to.

> Why would general AutoCAD help be anymore off topic than general
help for any other CAD program?

> Ivan

Discussion Thread

wanliker@a... 2003-01-08 08:32:08 UTC Software Piracy Kevin P. Martin 2003-01-08 08:52:40 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Software Piracy Louise Nichols 2003-01-08 10:22:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Software Piracy Louise Nichols 2003-01-08 10:38:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Software Piracy turbulatordude <davemucha@j... 2003-01-08 14:30:35 UTC Re: Software Piracy Jon Anderson 2003-01-08 16:11:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Software Piracy mayfieldtm <mayfiet@i... 2003-01-08 16:40:59 UTC Re: Software Piracy Michael 2003-01-08 17:32:04 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Software Piracy turbulatordude <davemucha@j... 2003-01-08 19:57:10 UTC Re: Software Piracy Hans Wedemeyer 2003-01-08 20:25:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Software Piracy wdyasq <rgbrown@i... 2003-01-08 20:38:23 UTC Re: Software Piracy Tim Goldstein 2003-01-08 20:48:01 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Now OT: Software Piracy Mariss Freimanis <mariss92705@y... 2003-01-08 23:20:06 UTC Re: Software Piracy