CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Which CAD/CAM Package?

Posted by CL
on 2003-01-22 21:50:02 UTC
Marcus & Eva wrote:

>Hi:
> Yes definitely rethink your decision.
>Autocad is a poor choice in many respects.
>It is lousy to learn...counterintuitive and annoying.

Thats what It was I didn't like about it ! I agree. AutoCad and
machining Fonts ?? I doubt they'll ever get that right ! I broke out
into a good belly laugh when I saw the topic come up called "Lost
lettering during milling in autocad 2002" a while back ! Sorry I
couldn't respond, I was busy rolling on the floor !

I was lucky enough to get my start with an Ashlar Vellum Product. Night
and day difference in speed and useability. I drew with ashlar right
next to a seasoned R12-14 guy who had about a year in Lt. Him in Lt, me
in Ashlar.... There was no way he could draw the same thing as fast and
we had a few contests to prove it. But, he could not live without his
command line, and I think still draws with it. We are seeing some of
that really cool stuff that Ashlar had ten years ago show up in many of
the more modern programs. The first places I saw it surface was in
ImaginationEngineer and Solid edge origin. It came down to Auto ortho,
Good Autosnap accuracy, and even right down to being able to select what
you want with a mouse click. For some reason, It always grabbed the line
you wanted even in a think mess. Always felt a little ESP was invloved
or something !

One decent product Autodesk has is Sketch. Its really inexpensive, and
has only a few minor annoyances like line widths. They won't fix them
either as the Sketch group has been asking them to do so for many years.
Every year it is the same thing... "what problem ?" "no one ever told us
there was a problem ". pfffft, ya right. I sometimes think if they did
fix those one or two issues, no one would bother with Lt. On a 2d level,
I will take the ease of AutoSketch V7 anyday over AutoCad.

I am pretty sure that AutoCad is strictly for those who have been using
it for about 10 years. that is the way I see it stack up. As I look
ahead, I will definately be demo'ing some of the newer Ashlar stuff
before I jump into 3d modeling.

Marcus, I like this one:

>It is way too expensive and suffers from poor support by a badly stuck-up
>and almost viciously petty company.

I understood completely why that poor fellow was asking questions in
this group a week ago!
Too bad he got "shot down" like he was a crook or something. He must
have mistook this for a CAD group that would actually help him. I'm
familiar with the support options there......

Most companies I know of Do have a copy of Autocad, but they ONLY use it
when they get caught up in one of those "DXF Loops" (incompatabilities)
that in which even Autocad has provenover and over that they can't keep
straight.

CL

Discussion Thread

Marcus & Eva 2003-01-22 21:08:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Which CAD/CAM Package? Carol & Jerry Jankura 2003-01-22 21:19:10 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Which CAD/CAM Package? CL 2003-01-22 21:50:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Which CAD/CAM Package? thomasm923@a... 2003-01-23 10:58:38 UTC Re: Which CAD/CAM Package? James Owens 2003-01-23 12:07:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Which CAD/CAM Package? Marcus & Eva 2003-01-23 19:29:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Which CAD/CAM Package? James Owens 2003-01-24 06:09:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Which CAD/CAM Package?