CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Which CAD/CAM Package?

Posted by Marcus & Eva
on 2003-01-23 19:29:08 UTC
Hi Terry:
I was not aware of any plugins that would turn Autocad into a CAM
program.
I've always had to take DXF files out and bring them into another program,
with all the resultant difficulties inherent in file transfer.
Tell us your opinion of these CAM modules.
Do they allow toolpath parameter editing, and toolpath verification.
Do they have any of the usual CAM program features like entry/exit control
and cutter compensation?
Can the mill module do routines like pocketing and multiple pass contouring?
(I know you haven't got the mill module yet, but do you have any idea
whether these features are included?)
Can the mill module do 3D?
It would certainly be very useful, to those who are already Autocad trained,
to have a robust means of generating good toolpaths from native files.
I'm still not convinced that I'd want to recommend Autocad to a beginner
though.
It just seems so much harder than necessary to me, especially since there
are CAM programs out there that are very good, very easy to learn, and about
the same price complete, as just the two modules you describe. (Never mind
the expense of getting Autocad as well).
Besides...I just can't stand that heavy-handed company!!! (Yes...I'm biased)
Cheers

Marcus