CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Which CAD/CAM Package?

Posted by Marcus & Eva
on 2003-01-22 21:08:41 UTC
Hi:
Yes definitely rethink your decision.
Autocad is a poor choice in many respects.
It is lousy to learn...counterintuitive and annoying.
It requires file translation to work with any CAM package, and the file
transfer process is not always as robust as it could be, so you end up
losing data and spend time "fixing" your drawing to make it useable in the
CAM software.
It is being rapidly replaced by solid modelling for most serious engineering
efforts.
It is way too expensive and suffers from poor support by a badly stuck-up
and almost viciously petty company.
For my money, at the level you're describing, I'd go with either Vector or
Dolphin.
Both are well supported, both are very poweful for their cost, and both have
the CAD and the CAM integrated, so you're not chasing chain gaps and other
nonsense all the time.
Dolphin is said by many to be a bit more intuitive than Vector, but both
programs have their very strong proponents.
I'd run from that Godawful Autocad just as fast as I can!!!
Cheers

Marcus