CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Visual Mill vs. MACH1

Posted by Jeff Goldberg
on 2003-03-05 08:13:49 UTC
Great question! Short answer - I don't know. Is Visual Mill 3.0 (Free
version) sufficient for the CAM function on a 3 axis Bridgeport? I'd like
to keep the software cost as low as possible until I get familiar with what
this beast will do.

I have a couple of questions:

1) The steppers were held to their brackets with bolts going through
neoprene bushings and then direct connected to the screw shafts. Does this
provide enough flexibility or should I change to flexible shaft couplings?

2) Now that I'm embarked on a new hobby, I have an old Logan 9" lathe
(1940's vintage with manually changeable gears). Is it worthwhile (or even
possible) to convert this to CNC?

Long Form:

I have a hobby where I collect and rebuild model stationary steam engines.
I was missing a slide valve for one, and I butchered a replacement by using
a lathe. I finally broke down and decided to by myself a HF mini milling
machine as a present. I then got a bright idea and bartered some two year
old (but still very usable) computer equipment to a school and got the 2J
Bridgeport I'm working on as well as a J head unit which was fitted with
steppers, which I converted back to manual (and which I will probably sell
on E-Bay). I figured this was a better deal than buying the small unit.
The hobby interest has now transferred from steam engines to getting this
beast to work. The electronics are pretty much finished (except for the
limit switches) and now I'm looking at software. What will I use this for
once its running? I really haven't thought it out, but I'm open to (polite)
suggestions.

Regards,
Jeff