CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] removing backlash from rack/pinion drives wasRe: Shoptask Z-axis - quadralift?

Posted by Tony Jeffree
on 2003-03-06 00:42:56 UTC
Ballendo -

If you can do it with a gear, then there is no reason in principle not to
do it with a rack (or two racks & a fatter gear, if that is
easier). However, the problem would be constructing a "slideway" for the
moving half of the rack that allows linear motion in one axis while
constraining movement of the rack in the other two axes. I guess it is just
easier in most cases to split the gear.

Of course, as with any preloading scheme, applying a force greater than the
preload defeats the mechanism. I guess another approach would be to split
the gear & then clamp the two halves after adjusting out the 'lash, rather
than relying on a spring (or should it be "sping"? <G>).

Regards,
Tony