CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] removing backlash from rack/pinion drives wasRe: Shoptask Z-axis - quadralift?

Posted by ccq@x...
on 2003-03-06 07:48:49 UTC
Hi guys;

On Thu Mar 6 06:46:41 2003 jmkasunich wrote:

>--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "ballendo" <ballendo@y...>
>wrote:
>>
>> Never seen that approach. But...
>>
>> What is typically done is similar. The GEAR is split (or two
>> narrow gears are used if you prefer<G>) and these two "halves"
>> are sping loaded (rotationally) against each other.
>>
>> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, ccq@x wrote:
>> >
>> > It might require a wider than usual gear/rack, but what if
>> > you took a slitting saw, and slit the rack right down the
>> > middle. lock one half down as usual, and then slide the
>> > other half lengthwise, one direction or the other, until
>> > all the slop is taken out. Would this be workable, or
>> > just engender extreme wear, or sosmething?
>> >

>Splitting the rack will not work here - the "rack" in question
>is actually the quill of the machine! Splitting the gear is
>a possibility, however the backlash will return whenever the
>cutting force overcomes the spring force. You'd need a very
>strong preload spring.

I think I see what you mean, though the possibility of partially splitting a
rack, and sawing half of it off from the side might serve to give a slidable
rack for making the indicated adjustment. I'm sorta beginning to like the idea,
as it would take out _all_ the slop, without having to worry about spring
pressure, as the gear would be physically two-blocked by the rack in each
direction. The idea might just be the berries for a router table, and if/when
wear did occur, it could be continuously adjusted out over time, (assuming
relatively even wear), until there wasn't any worth while gear/rack left to
lock down, so to speak.

Bill

--
RKBA! ***** Blessings On THee, Oh Israel! ***** 4-19!

Constitutional Government is dead, LONG LIVE THE CONSTITUTION!!!!!

alan@s... 2003-03-05 16:18:07 UTC Re: Shoptask Z-axis - quadralift? ccq@x... 2003-03-05 18:52:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Shoptask Z-axis - quadralift? ballendo 2003-03-06 00:24:40 UTC removing backlash from rack/pinion drives wasRe: Shoptask Z-axis - quadralift? Tony Jeffree 2003-03-06 00:42:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] removing backlash from rack/pinion drives wasRe: Shoptask Z-axis - quadralift? jmkasunich 2003-03-06 06:46:46 UTC removing backlash from rack/pinion drives wasRe: Shoptask Z-axis - quadralift? ccq@x... 2003-03-06 07:48:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] removing backlash from rack/pinion drives wasRe: Shoptask Z-axis - quadralift? alan@s... 2003-03-06 09:26:27 UTC Re: Re: Re: Shoptask Z-axis - quadralift? paul_norton2001 2003-03-07 02:16:53 UTC removing backlash from rack/pinion drives wasRe: Shoptask Z-axis - quadralift? ccq@x... 2003-03-07 04:52:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] removing backlash from rack/pinion drives wasRe: Shoptask Z-axis - quadralift?